• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fast idle

kevinO

NAXJA Forum User
so lately my 89 xj has been idling around 1500-200rpm when 1st started up. sometimes turning off and re-starting makes it idle 650 again.doesn't seem to matter if its warmed up or not.:doh:

Mine was doing that amongst other things.

I got a can of starter fluid and started chasing down vac leaks. Found a small leak at the front of the intake/exhaust manifold and a loose bolt.

I backed the bolt out, tapped a small screw driver in to gently spread the gap. Laid a light bead of RTV in and tightened the bolt.

I saw a bit of RTV compress out when tightened the bolt.

High idle was gone.

Not sure why it was kinda random, I suspect it had to do with how it settled, expanded and contracted.

Random high idle that requires shutting the Jeep off and restarting is usually the first sign of a failing TPS. Always good to check for vacuum leaks/loose intake bolts as stated.

Since you have an 89, click on the following link and look at #s 1,3, and 5. Normal preventative maintenance on a Renix Jeep.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Any other problems or symptoms with it?

I would check (Test with an ohm meter), clean, repair as needed the sensor grounds, suspect a vacuum leak (test), but also suspect the TPS (Test) with an analog multi meter), the MAT (test) as the usual suspects.

Last edited:
Random high idle that requires shutting the Jeep off and restarting is usually the first sign of a failing TPS. Always good to check for vacuum leaks/loose intake bolts as stated.

Since you have an 89, click on the following link and look at #s 1,3, and 5. Normal preventative maintenance on a Renix Jeep.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

This is sad.I have to go to this FORUM to get great info on a XJ.Maybe i should join that one when it is time to renew here.:dunno:

This is sad.I have to go to this FORUM to get great info on a XJ.Maybe i should join that one when it is time to renew here.:dunno:

Well actually NAXJA was the first, and did let me post my tips here once but then wouldn't let me add to the tips or edit any write-ups once the thread was made. Hence, Cherokee Forum and Comanche Club each have them now.

Hope they help. Any questions or comments, PM me.

They have helped out a ton sir.I just think it is dumb that a PAYING MEMBER here has to go over there to get info on his/her XJ.Don't you?

They have helped out a ton sir.I just think it is dumb that a PAYING MEMBER here has to go over there to get info on his/her XJ.Don't you?

Buddy, this isn't a tech service. This is a car club's online forum - open to non-paying members. We don't have Chrysler technicians or engineers on staff, we don't have Jeep's endorsement or support in any way. We're hobbyists, sharing information we have picked up along the way of our hobby for the benefit of fellow Jeep dorks.

You aren't entitled to any sort of tech help for your membership dues. Any help you get is by the grace of others. If you don't get what you want, don't complain. In here as in life: you are not entitled to shit.

That being said - feel free to come back with any / all questions. We're generally glad to help if we have an idea or know the answer.

PS - I haven't paid dues in a while, which is one reason amongst many that I don't represent the whole club here with what I say here. Despite my acting as if I do...

Back