• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn Not Working

DanielW-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 98 XJ 2WD automatic, I have made sure the horns actually work and they do, and my lead/positive wire coming from the steering wheel has current running thru it but when i finish the circuit by touching a ground it still does not work, im not connecting it to the switch pad in the steering wheel for i think its going bad , but im just lost on where my problem lies when i everything has a current it should work right? i will inform tho that the previous owner had some ghetto rigged stereo w/and amp as well and alot of their work is very lazy

I don't know about the newer ones, mine is 85-89, but if the horn switch in the columns are similar the spring loaded brush and SS plate it makes contact with on mine was oxidized (from lack of use, seems they are self cleaning when the wheel is turned and used as DD?). I used Scotchbrite and now I can wake up the neighbors when I accidently bump it, LOL.

On prior occasions it was a rusted ground at the horn mounting position.

Have you checked the fuse (fuse #21 blue 15 amp) and the horn relay ?

1997 and newer have the horn contacts in the airbag module.

1997 and newer have the horn contacts in the airbag module.

:doh: Where else would you put it? LMAO

So glad I am stocked with easy to service Renix Jeeps. Do you know if Renix have a Horn relay (one I failed to think to look for, find or notice)? The steering column switch seemed to be a direct load to me.

Back