• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't go snow wheeling alone. My 4am recovery.

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
This morning I was awaken by a 3:45am call from two friends from high school. He said they were out wheeling in the snow and were beyond stuck and needed me to come pull them out. He also said he had brought his girlfriend and her 5 year old daughter with them. I told him I was going to load up and head out right away. I threw my recovery gear and my spare tire into the jeep, then convinced Eric to come with me. Eric brought along his bag of recovery gear just in case we needed it. We fueled up in Woodland then hauled balls to Toutle.

We called them from Castle Rock to get directions, and their directions were vague at best. They didn't know the area very well, and neither Eric or I had ever been up there. Their directions got us on the right track, but the road split often, and we didn't always have service so several times Eric and I had to get out and look for fresh Duratrack trails in the snow. They said they had left the girls in the truck and were walking downhill. Eventually we found the two of them walking, they hopped in and led us to their truck. Eric and I could smell they had been drinking.

We got to their truck, a stock quad-cab longbed powerstroke, and it looked like he slid into ditch going around a downed tree. I also learned the girls were in the truck freezing because his low fuel light was on he could risk wasting fuel. Luckily I packed a few blankets so we gave then to the girls.

We figured the truck just needed a little pull and we be able to get him back on the road. So we hooked a cable to receiver and I started pulling while he tried to back out. All that happened was I was sliding closer to him. At this point one of them says "I don't think you'll be able to pull us over that stump". Eric and I jumped in the ditch, and sure enough his passenger doors and rocker were on top of a stump.

Luckily Eric brought his bag of recovery gear because at one point we were using 4 straps, 3 shackles, a tree saver, and a snatch block. I had to anchor my Jeep to a tree snatch off another tree, while he spun his rear tires to swing his rearend around and get him off the stump. It worked, but it peeled up his rear passenger door, oh well. In that process I also managed to winch myself into the other ditch so we spent a few minutes digging myself out. I brought 2 shovels, all they brought was beer.

Once he was off the stump, and I was out of the other ditch, I repositioned and pulled him back up onto road. From there we had him back down approximately a half mile to the turn-around. Once we got to the turn around they started drinking aging, and one of them says "maybe leaving my house at midnight to find a blizzard was a bad idea". We got lost once on the way down, and he mentioned he was dangerously low on fuel. Luckily we made it down to the highway and to the Shell station. He topped me off, they all thanked us and we hit the road. I was home about 11:45am.

They did just about everything wrong, but luckily no one got hurt or worse.

Where the truck was resting
6aqaqa3y.jpg

Off the stump
ara4etej.jpg

re5azynu.jpg

The damage
pyrateve.jpg

Back down at the turn around
6ydyvaje.jpg

9utyqy9a.jpg

title could also be re-named: dont drink and drive. glad everyone is ok. i learned my snow wheeling alone lesson 4 years ago. didnt go prepared, spent 4 hrs digging with my bare hands, and had to walk close to 12 mi. out soaking wet and border line hypothermia. i now have and emergency bag with food,water, dry clothes, military shovel, emergency blanket, handwarmers, firelog etc.

I'm thinking Duratracs for my tow rig, Would you Recommend them to me, Darren?

Wow, sucks they made a few bad calls there. Good on you for helping out. Hope it isnt a consistent decision to drink and drive. I hate it even on a trail, I think its all bad. Maybe they learned?

Wow, crazy stuff. Im glad you were able to help the little girl, she cant help what the morons of parents she has does with her.

Can only imagine what Larch & Jones Creek looks like today. Every "all wheel, 4 wheel, Subaru, rav, and mini van are up there. Not to mention all the yota dudes that called in!!!

Once we got to the turn around they started drinking aging, and one of them says "maybe leaving my house at midnight to find a blizzard was a bad idea". We got lost once on the way down, and he mentioned he was dangerously low on fuel. Luckily we made it down to the highway and to the Shell station. He topped me off, they all thanked us and we hit the road.

Don't want to butt in on another chapter's business, but drinking & driving in severely snowy conditions with a young kid in the vehicle is not only way beyond stupid, it's several layers of illegal. I will say straight up that, buddies or not, if they just started drinking AGAIN after you just rescued their sorry, uh, posteriors, AND THEN DROVE OFF with the kid still in the vehicle, I would have called the cops on them. At the very least, they should have let one of you sober gentlemen take the girlfriend & kid home in your vehicle. Endangering kids is massively not cool. There's a big difference between showing your kid the fun of going wheeling and idiotic crap like this. Sorry for the rant, but I have a 6-year-old, and stuff like this just makes my blood boil.

Don't want to butt in on another chapter's business, but drinking & driving in severely snowy conditions with a young kid in the vehicle is not only way beyond stupid, it's several layers of illegal. I will say straight up that, buddies or not, if they just started drinking AGAIN after you just rescued their sorry, uh, posteriors, AND THEN DROVE OFF with the kid still in the vehicle, I would have called the cops on them. At the very least, they should have let one of you sober gentlemen take the girlfriend & kid home in your vehicle. Endangering kids is massively not cool. There's a big difference between showing your kid the fun of going wheeling and idiotic crap like this. Sorry for the rant, but I have a 6-year-old, and stuff like this just makes my blood boil.

I have a two year old, and I completely agree with you. I'm not one to call the police, and they wouldn't have listened to either of us about the drinking an driving. Also I didn't have a back seat.

There's a reason I don't hang out with these guys.

+1

Back