• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy, old rig

/ZexGX

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself since I'm going to start freshening up my rig and/or look for another one that isn't hacked up.

Below is pretty much what I know about my XJ. The ride is pretty used and abused, but is a desert rig its whole life so it's pretty much rust free. It's an '87 Cherokee 4x4 4dr 426k miles, picked it up already modded with about 400k miles on it several years ago. Been using it as a daily driver when my Firebird is down.

1987 XJ Cherokee
4.0L I6 / "cold" air intake / Borla header / Flowmaster muffler
AW4 with a possible shift kit

D30/D44 3.55 (I think)
NP242 w/SYE
sliding driveshafts

3"/2.5" JC301KS Skyjacker lift kit (springs/shocks/arms)
Skyjacker TJ upper flex arms
JKS swaybar quick disconnects
boxed rocker guards
skids for transfer case & differentials
Front frame hooks

Chrome Cragar Soft 8 15x8 with 31x10.5 General Grabber Red Letters

Misc: 48" farm jack (Harbor Freight Hi-Lift knockoff), Confer style roof rack, factory-equipped swing-out tire rack, headliner delete, nightmare-inducing vehicle wire harness, tan interior w/gray carpet and gray cloth seats, aftermarket cassette headunit w/CD changer (going to upgrade soon), clear corners (running lights)

Old Pics:
207685_5213707930_7126_n.jpg

215384_5213652930_6019_n.jpg

208265_5213712930_7453_n.jpg

62533_438782677930_6065841_n.jpg

About Me: I'm an IT guy by trade, but know how to wrench on cars. In 2009 my friends and I performed a CA legal LS1 swap to my '99 V6 Firebird in 3 days in a friends driveway. I'm pretty good with passenger-car tech and will usually lend a helping hand to friends if I have the time (rare nowadays) but don't know much about the 4x4/truck world (I'd like to learn, anybody want a protege?). My parents and I used to go alone on desert mine roads/trails all over the western US in their 2WD/460ci/auto '92 Ford van when I was growing up, and not a 100% noob when it comes to driving/recovering in rocky/sandy terrain. My dream is to someday LS/T56 swap a 2WD 2dr XJ to make a nice DD/sleeper (similar to the "Cherokee XJ-R" that is currently racing in Grassroots).

Last edited:
nice rig man welcome :wave1:

email your vin to jeep and they will email you your build sheet back for free so you know what came with your xj

nice rig man welcome :wave1:

email your vin to jeep and they will email you your build sheet back for free so you know what came with your xj

Thanks, even better though, I have the original window sticker from the 80s and all the documentation from the previous owner up to 410k miles or so. Some of the mods weren't documented/explained, unfortunately (like why the entire wire harness seems to be held together with crimp connectors).

Ooow who made that diff slider? I'm looking to get a front & rear one for my Xj.

Very nice XJ indeed, possibly think about throwing that high lift on your tire carrier though?

426k wow, thats awesome

what part of so cal are you from

Welcome
Thanks, I've lived all over So Cal when growing up, but right now I've got a place to stay in the San Fernando Valley and another place to stay in Yucca Valley. I stay in the SFV for work and go to YV on the weekends, every now and then. The Jeep was picked up in Yucca Valley.

Ooow who made that diff slider? I'm looking to get a front & rear one for my Xj.

Very nice XJ indeed, possibly think about throwing that high lift on your tire carrier though?
As Renegade XJ said, it is a Rock-it Parts slider! One arm for the t-case slider cracked, though, and needs to be re-welded. As far as the high lift, I was thinking about throwing it on the roof rack. Not sure I want to add any more weight to the factory swing-out arm - the body sheet metal is cracked below the upper mount where the swing-arm bolts to the body. Maybe on another XJ.

Don't be afraid to hack it all up. Then it will be a genuine SoCal NAXJA rig! Welcome

Back