• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving in the clouds

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
Have no idea which is the appropriate sub forum for this question, so it's here.

Looking for those with "experience" with this issue.

I live 2000 feet above the Roanoke Valley. Often, I don't drive through fog on the way down the mountain as much as I drive through low lying clouds.

Common sense and experience have taught me that amber running lights, mounted low, help with both visibility and being seen.

However, with a lift kit and winch bumper mounting low isn't a good option.

I've done some research and the 6" LED amber light bars put off a decent amount of light.

BUT I've seen no reviews of their performance in fog.

I would imagine with so many lifted Jeeps on this forum that someone would have experience in the fog with amber lights mounted in different locations. The only place I have to mount such a beast is on the hoop on my bumper and I don't want to waste a couple hundred bucks on a light that simply won't work. It seems to me that would just be to high up to do any good.

So, anyone have experience with this that you can share?

OK, I'll be stupid and make a harebrained suggestion: why not mount the lights on the axle housing? The bumper and hoop of your lifted Jeep are much too high, but the axle is at a much more reasonable height.

Of course you will want to mount the lights with quick releases so you can take them off before wheeling.

The following link was provided by Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply:
http://www.lightingresearch.org/programs/transportation/pdf/SAE/2001-01-0320.pdf --In it, it reveals a study suggesting that yellow, or amber lights give an edge in certain inclement conditions.., but not all. That said, forward lighting lower to roadway for your weather situation is best. (Mounting any light up high, and using said in fog, rain, or snow will produce a 'back-scattering' glare immediately above, and in front of one's view out the windscreen.., blah, blah). Mounting fog type lights on the axle is a great idea but such a task opens up some creative considerations in order to set them up where they will not be harmed by road debris, big puddles of water, or from constantly trail blazing through snow. With great effort, and/or ideal conditions, one could possibly gain a certain advantage from said position.

You could drill some holes in your winch/bumper, fab some flat stock steel, and make an "L" shape in which to mount that piece to the bumper with a bolt, washer(s), and wing nut. On the other end of this 'strap' mount your fog lamp however you can. The wing nut will permit you to either lower the light(s), or swing 'em up and out of the way of most lower obstacles, such as those that could mean certain destruction of them, (either by bending your straps, smashing glass, or etc.), in the most usual off road situations. For DD leave 'em down.

The Daniel Stern website has been neglected for some time. However, you might find some info. useful to you as per the lighting subject. He sells CIBIE Head Lamps.., which makes my DD much safer as they help me to see the edges of the road 'mo-betta, especially while 'gliding left' at speed.:eyes:

I too have 3" of lift and have mounted my fog lights on top of the bumber (don't want to scrape them off on a rock or snow drift). As the factory fog lights were also mounted on top of the bumber, I don't think 3" is going to make that much difference. I have not had issues with mine.

I don't think mounting on the axle housing is a good idea...think of the light movement with every road crack and pothole...would be horrible! Not to mention the hassle of removing before wheeling and frequent cleaning, unless your XJ never drips any fluids...

what's your bumper look like? Are it's insides accessible?

put them inside the bumper
IMG_2342.jpg

Back