• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 swap done. time to be picky

jodaddy

NAXJA Forum User
95 xj 4.0/ax15/new 242/d30 8.25 3'' boost. I picked up a 242 from a 96 zj a few months back and finally got it installed. The 231 I replaced may not have been original to the jeep. I was under the impression that the 231 would have a long input but it appeared shorter than the one on the 242 so I just left it. No reason to crack open the cases for the wrong input. Since the xj is lifted a little I didn't mess with the driveshaft shortening. The 242 had the external slip which made it 1.5'' longer than the 231. Any way the shift sensors are different so I need to find a pigtail from a zj and splice it in to the 2 wire on the xj or maybe there is a sensor that fits the 242 that will plug right in to the t case and and 2 wire. If the driveshaft becomes a problem I think I could find a shorter yoke. I seem to remember some were about 3/4'' shorter. If you guys see any problems that may pop up let me know. thanks in advance for your help, Joe

I just swapped my 242 for a 231... not sure of the problem you are talking about... I am not quite done buttoning it up, it's all mounted but still have to jack it up, connect shifter and cables, and then put crossmember on. I may be able to spare the sensor part since I don't the the 231 has the same.. Perhaps a trade in sensors? Post some pics of the parts you are referring to

You might be able to get by with a driveshaft from a 96+ AW4 8.25 4WD combo. There are four variables on length: AW4 vs AX5/AX15, D35 vs D44/8.25, pre- vs post-96, and 2WD vs 4WD. The AW4 is a bit longer than the AX15 so the driveshaft for those are a little shorter. Dunno if it will work but its worth trying I suppose. The shorter yoke would only help if you had the long yoke already, which is unlikely.

The shift indicator wiring is different between the 231 and 242. Your jeep already has the wiring for both but some years need an adapter cable for the 242. my 91 conversion hunt

My new 242 came from a 96 zj. they have something called a VIC which uses a different connector to plug into the harness. It looks like it would be a 4 wire plug. There are 4 prongs in the sensor. I was wondering if the 2 prong plug on the xj 242's is a bigger diameter than on the 231. I would have just swapped the sensor off the 231 but it is way too small to thread on the 242. The vss swapped right over. As far as the driveshafts go, I definitely have the longer yoke on my rig.
when I put the lift on I made sure it was the longer one. I even have an extra one I bought on ebay from a yj or tj I can't remember.

the cases are the same.

buy XJ 242 indicator switch for your year.
install in ZJ case
????????
profit.

Back