• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat only blows from the defroster? Can't switch to vent or floor??

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ Pioneer, IL6, 5 Spd. The other day I noticed that when I turn on the heat it only blows on the windshield for defrost no matter what position the selector is in. It just happened. Not sure why. When I move the selector to vent or floor, what controls how the air is diverted? Any help appreciated! Thanks as always.

I have a similar issue, i understand its related to a vacuum leak. The diverter is controlled via vacuum. The defroster is the default position for air, so the fact that its going only there could indicate there isnt enough vacuum to otherwise control it.

Or the simpler answer might just be that your lever is broke off inside or something like that. :)

SUCCESS! Alright my friends, here's what i did. I checked the reservoir behind the front bumper,checked all of the vaccuum tubing, took the control out of the dash for safe measure. Then it hit me!, I realized that the main vaccuum line coming off of the manifold runs behind the valve cover and the fire wall in an awkward way. I had a new clutch installed about two weeks ago right around the time that my heater started acting up. When I had the control out of the dash I found that there was NO vacuum at all to the control. I found that main line behind the valve cover was PINCHED between the GOD D@#$ tranny and engine!! Obviously happened when they put the tranny back in. I cut out the tubing, spliced it back together and walla!

Back