• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 jeep wont start

COWBOYJIM3

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 that wouldnt start. I recently replaced the spark plugs and it ran great. the next day it wouldnt start. I was not getting any spark. i changed the ignition coil and it didnt fix. so i put the old one back on and researched further. i replaced the crank pos. sensor and the jeep started easily. after starting it a few times in an hour i began to drive it. i turned on the headlights and the engine sputtered and died. At that point i started it and as soon as i put it in gear it died. after towing it home it will crank but not start. Once again it seems as if im getting no spark. After changing the CPS I noticed I had no battery guage, temp guage or oil pressure. I had the hood all the way up when i was changing the CPS and it started raining. PLEASE HELP...

Could be a lot of things. So start with a volt-ohm meter and go through the basics, test the grounds and wiring, pull and clean any corroded contacts on the grounds, battery posts, engine block grounds, and then get a look under the dash at the wiring to the head light switch and the ignition switch (They both have load isssues and are often toasty after 20 years.)

Next time it is running check the battery voltage and make sure the alternator is working. Look up "Cruiser54 Renix naxja.org for a well written hit list on refreshing and testing the sensor grounds and leads.....for starters.

Back