• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing lift...spring compressor

Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat... removing the most part of the front suspension to get it to droop out the coils requires more work than is required to install most mild lift kits. Furthermore, many people have rusty jeeps, or have two left thumbs where every extra bolt they have to remove is another potential for issues...

Using a spring compressor can be easier, in certain conditions. Removing 2/3rds of your suspension can be easier for others, especially those who are gonna be replacing many of the removed parts anyway.

I never remove my lower control arms to poop out coils, but if you're planning on replacing them, might as well.

If you do end up using a spring compressor, use caution, they can be dangerous should the coil slip out explosively. Another reason not to use them in this application IMHO.

If obtaining one is your concern, when I lifted my WK I borrowed them from an auto parts store. Too easy.

Just looking at a compressed spring you can see how much potential energy is there, be careful.

HF makes one that clamps the spring at 4 points and locks it in. One big bolt compresses the assembly. Not as inexpensive as those 2 bolts with hooks things, but I certainly felt safer knowing that the spring wasn't going anywhere once I had it locked in.

-Ron

...AND the spring compressor tool "HK" is by whom? (Not that I need to absolutely know, as I've already done OME for OEM replacement).:worship:

Put jack under one side of front axle

Jack it up enough to remove the wheel on that side

Disconnecting the shock at top or bottom

Lower jack to the ground and the coil will fall out

Install new coil and reverse instructions.

Have you tried that with anything over a 3.5" lift coil?

I managed to get my 3.5" coils in there like that, and the heavy application of prybars and such, PITA to say the least, bought a spring compressor after that.

my 4.5" coils would never have gone in without one. and that was with all control arms loose, shocks disco's and the whole front end drooped (and there is little left stock on my front end so it drooped alot.

You could just unbolt the uppers and driveshaft and rotate it forward a bit to get them in and out. I have a RK 3 link. To take my 3.5" coils and spacers out, I just unbolt the extended bumpstop pad on the coil bucket, unbolt the wheels, jackstand the frame, and droop the axle. I don't have a swaybar. If its close, I just push down with my foot on the axle. I don't even have to unbolt the shocks.

I managed to get my 3.5" coils in there like that, and the heavy application of prybars and such, PITA to say the least, bought a spring compressor after that.

my 4.5" coils would never have gone in without one. and that was with all control arms loose, shocks disco's and the whole front end drooped (and there is little left stock on my front end so it drooped alot.

I have done 6.5 and 7.5 coils a few times, with and with out help.Jack it up ,remove the tires,drop the shocks,unhook anything that will STOP the axle from full droop.I also found having my jeep sitting high on jack stands helps, so you'll need tall ones or a good set of FLAT wood blocks to set your jack stands on.Lower your front axle and watch your coils fall out.You may need help to reinstall them cause they won't stay in place while you jack the axle back up.Unless you use that bolt that holds them in place on the axle.
WATCH YOUR BRAKE LINES.;)

Yup, I did it when removing and reinstalling different 4.5" springs. You might have to put the chassis up on jackstands a bit higher than it sits on the tires. I guess I should have added that to the list haha.

I have 6 inch coils and I don't ever use a spring compresser. I have had no issues with the "pull CA's, shocks and trac bar" method.

Scary compressor

EW49016.jpg

Safe compressor

I own a V-style unit but have never used it on my XJ. I bought it to do strut jobs on cars.

I've never used a spring compressor, and my currie coils will out-droop most XJ coils out there...

oh and I'm still on short arms.

distonnect the steering at the pitman arm, and the trackbar at the frame side. the axle will drop out plenty far.

I have installed lifts on about 7 different XJs, 1 ZJ, and 1 TJ. I used a spring compressor for the first 3 Jeeps and it took me 2 days time to install the lift. Then I discovered that removing the lower control arms from one end on both sides of the Jeep as well as the track bar (which has to be removed anyways) allows the axle to drop down MUCH farther than it can with them connected. I can now accomplish a lift in about 12-13 hours. After struggling with spring compressors several times I consider it to be so much easier to disconnect the control arms.

Also a very handy to have around is an 18"-24" breaker bar and long pry bar. The breaker bar makes removing bolts much easier if you don't have an air compressor. The pry bar has a variety of uses but the best is to leverage the springs in.

Last edited:
I have used the droop method many times. Sometimes it helps to take a stock jack and put it upside down with the base on the frame rail and the other end on the axle. You can then crank the axle down as long as the shocks and sway are disco'd.

I have used the droop method many times. Sometimes it helps to take a stock jack and put it upside down with the base on the frame rail and the other end on the axle. You can then crank the axle down as long as the shocks and sway are disco'd.

loosening the upper and lower CA bolts will prevent you from needing to do this and destroying your CA bushings.

just remember not to tighten them back up until the axle is at ride height.

Back