• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help identifying steering knuckles

SubFreq111

NAXJA Forum User
So... I have a 2001 and want to swap out the front axle for an HPD30 from a earlier model. So I order from a junkyard a front axle that was allegedly from a 96. I know this is incorrect because it has the center axle disconnect. Not a huge problem, I'll just space the fork so it's always locked. Now it looks like everything else is going to bolt up fine, but then I check out the steering knuckles and they're totally different. They have a setup for a caliper bracket instead of the calipers bolting straight to the knuckles. Now initially I thought I hit the jackpot and this guy had already done a WJ knuckle swap. Every picture of them I find though has two 'levers' on the front of the passenger knuckle, for the drag link/tie rod, but this one only has one, just like my LP D30. I guess I'm going to try to see if the WJ caliper brackets will bolt on, but I was wondering if anyone knew what these knuckles might be from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vnqj9sozosm7se/2012-12-13 14.15.38.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p1og4igyqtnqr8/2012-12-13 14.15.15.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ogzhqpkr1295xe/2012-12-13 14.15.03.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gme1gzdw70tty3/2012-12-13 14.14.52.jpg

Take it back... you don't want a disconnect housing, its making a relatively weak axle, weaker. Tell him that's from 91 or earlier and he needs to catalog his parts better. Looks like its sat underwater for a year or two as well

It looks like it was the first 30 off the assembly line three decades ago, lol...

For real though, id a turned that turdy down at the shop. Wasted time bringing it home.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, but I don't think returning it's going to be an option, it was shipped about 600 miles here, and I can totally see the guy saying it's not his fault somebody put a 91 axle in his 96 XJ before he bought it. Are you saying this looks like a pre 90 XJ knuckle, jeeperjohn? I guess if that's the case I'm just better off installing my complete 01 knuckles?

Wow... you were better off with your LP in your rig already, you shipped scrap 600 miles.

Call them and tell them that's not what you ordered and make it right... jy around here has a 30 day exchange policy if the part doesn't work or its the wrong one. I wouldn't spend a cent on that axle.

I've read a good bit about the CAD, and though it's been much argued, it's pretty much a toss up in the strength department as the non-CAD axle's weak point is the passenger side tube, and the CAD axle is beefed up there, as well as has thicker shafts near the disconnect too. I wouldn't bother swapping for what I have,except the main reason I'm doing it is this 'new' axle already has 4.10's in it. Thanks for the help guys.

why not just remove your axle shaft from your low pinion and put it in the passenger side of the CAD axle all you have to do is install 1 axle seal in the pumpkin and rip out all that axle disconnect crap. OR see if someone has a HP d30 they are giving away on pirate or on the for sale board here and swap your new gearset into it.

^Think I just decided I'm gonna swap the whole axle shafts too. The only reason I was just gonna do the fork space shift was if I didn't have to take apart the whole knuckle/hub anyway.

Id rather have a good axle and what I paid for than gears... but that's just me and my $$$

There is a reason they stopped making the disconnect axle, and your trying to prove the whole jeep community wrong based on the fact you got shipped one and want it for gears...

Id be on the phone livid if I paid to ship 200lbs across state and it wasn't right.

Not trying to prove anyone wrong Breezy, I'm just trying to make what I have do what I want it to do. I would argue the design was ditched due to the fact that the 0.2% difference it made on MPG and driveline wear wasn't worth the extra parts/unreliability of the vacuum system. I'm totally with you on the fact the junkyard screwed up, but I just don't get the feeling yelling at the guy in Alabama is gonna get me a new axle or any money back. Honestly, I appreciate the help, it's not often I can't find an answer that's already on the forum, but when I do, everyone's very helpful, thanks!

I swapped one of those with 4.10's in myself in my 94 when I was younger and didn't know there was a difference.

I ran the posi lok system for a while, then did a 1 piece conversion. To do that right you have to dremel out a spot for the axle seal inside the housing. If you get it wrong... it's gonna leak. Mine did, bad enough and frequent enough that I eventually found another HP non disco 30 to swap the 4.10's into. About the only thing I like on that axle is the passenger side UCA mount is much beefier than the later 30's, but that's not enough to make it worth using.

How good are you with a wrench?

Move the 1 piece 5x760 axles from your LP30 and your LP30 knuckles/brakes onto this HP 30. Problem solved.

If you're willing to go that far, I'll dig up some images and part numbers on what you should do for an oil seal.

Thanks guys, but I don't think returning it's going to be an option, it was shipped about 600 miles here, and I can totally see the guy saying it's not his fault somebody put a 91 axle in his 96 XJ before he bought it. Are you saying this looks like a pre 90 XJ knuckle, jeeperjohn? I guess if that's the case I'm just better off installing my complete 01 knuckles?
It can be converted for a one piece shaft on the pass side without too much trouble. It would be better than trying to ship it to someone. Or you could put it on craigs fence and see what you might get for it and use the money for a non disco. A truss would pretty much eliminate any concerns over the strength of the housing. I believe you can use the 01 knuckles as long as you use teh 01 unit bearings and brakes.

You got some 1984 to 1989 AMC Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept AMC calipers.

See this - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22 - in the FAQ's.

Do some GOOGLE-FU to confirm, you should be able to swap the knuckles out and use newer knuckles, brakes, hubs, etc.

Wow, lots more good info. Looks like I'll be taking the entire axle shafts, hubs, knuckles from the 01 and putting them in this housing. I read that some come with a seal at the inside and the outside of the passenger side tube, and when I took the cad off today, tons more oil came out so I'm hoping this is the case. Anyway, looks like I'm gonna be set with a hp d30, with solid shaft, stronger ujoints, and 4.10s, sounds good to me!

thats a disco housing with renix era 2 peice knuckles, no WJ swap there buddy. you can use those knuckles, renix era brake parts, and look up the inner axle seals on here on naxja, and just make a block off plate with flat steel or use the disco housing and chop the fork off. or just get a non disco hp30.

I would do the one peice axle conversion, and while your at it, swap over the knuckles from your other axle

Back