• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar diy disconnect question

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
hopefully someone knows off the top of their head but what is the length from the bolt head to the cotter pin in mm for a diy sway bar disconnect? looking on mcmaster carr they have the mm size clevis pins but they're not adjustable so I want to get the closes one they have so that I use the least amount of washers to take up slack on it.

Just go to home depot or Lowes and get a pin that has the holes every 1/8"... I got one that's I believe 1/2" thick with holes all down it, I just use one washer on the clip end so the arms doesn't bend the clip. Works like a dream and was $2.90 total for the two pins, already had large washers and clips from old hitches

Well from what I've been reading, the original bolt on the Cherokees sway bar is metric and its 12mm so getting one that isn't is going to cause either over tightness or looseness which I don't want and none of the hardware stores around carry metric Clevis pins. Which is why I'm trying to determine the length to get the proper size one for me

Ah I got ya, yeah the ones I bought were just barely too large (probably more related to the swell from rust) I just cleaned up the holes with a dremel and slid right in tight.

I used 1/2 pins, with multiple holes, and it worked perfectly. Wing nuts on the top. Simple, got everything at the local nut and bolt place.

I used 1/2 pins, with multiple holes, and it worked perfectly. Wing nuts on the top. Simple, got everything at the local nut and bolt place.

Were you using stock sway bar ends? Because I noticed that 1/2 couldn't fit inside the 12mm hole gauge at the hardware store

Were you using stock sway bar ends? Because I noticed that 1/2 couldn't fit inside the 12mm hole gauge at the hardware store

Yeah, stock link. I made a couple different ones, as I lengthened them with different lift heights.

It should be close, like I said, I had to use a dremel and clean mine up on both the axle bracket and the sway bar link end to fit, it fits very snug. A tiny bit of grease on it helps get it in and out.

Shouldn't matter whether its an aftermarket or stock link, they both fit over the same stud... unless you have the quick disconnect stud, but if you did you wouldn't be asking this :)

Google home depot sway bar disconnects or homebrew or something like that, that's where I got the idea from, had it on almost 2 years and there is no wear on the pin or wollowing of the hole.on the axle bracket yet.

Back