• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee question

AzXj1002

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone was wondering, We are looking at a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo 4x4 and it has a red body with a white top. Now to my knowledge this was never an option from jeep for that color style is it possible that it was a fire department jeep. It doesnt have any extra lighting on it nor antennas or whatnot and it looks like a stock 91 so is that probably where that color combonation came from?

Is it column shift? Most of the Fire, forest, police, and military cherokees were column shift instead of floor shift.

It is also very common for people to repaint the roof white to help with heat in the summer.

well it is not a column shift just the standard, i did look online some and saw some others that were painted like this one is and they were batallion cars. and it is very clean so it made me wonder

It would be rare for a Battalion Chief to drive something that small, check the roof for holes or signs that there where holes. You can also look at the drip rails for eveidence that a light bar was clamped on. Holes in the dash or though the carpet are other signs that it was in government service.
Another sign is coffee stains on the drivers side carpet, no joke not one of our cars or trucks leaves us without a large 5 year coffee stain in the drivers side floor carpet. It's not for sure but it's a good indicator.

Front bench was possible too.

Front bench was possible too.

Front bench, vinyl mat, column shift.. If it also has a foot parking brake it would be an XJ having an MJ identity crisis.

PS- Another feature of police XJs are 125 or so speedos (I forget the exact number they stop at).

well went to look at it and the origonal response was right. the roof was painted white. bummer and it did have some decent valve tick and the tail pipe was damn near rotted off so i walked away

Back