• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about ZJ Magnum engine swap into XJ and more!

zapprobert

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! Well, I have a problem that I’d like to summit to your attention and if possible, to use all the good advises you can give me.

So, I actually own two Jeeps, a ’90 YJ with 4.2 l engine and 5 gears manual tranny, and a ’92 XJ with 4.0 HO engine, auto transmission. I also found a very cheap ’94 ZJ with V8 - 5.2 engine, 4x4 permanent auto transmission. The ZJ is practically ruined because it rolled over in some woods but, nothing from its mechanics was touched!

Now, I get to the point: I intend to make a double swap, and here is where I need all the advices I can get! My intentions are to swap the V8 together with its permanent 4WD tranny in the XJ and, at the same time, to swap the 4.0 L XJ engine and auto tranny, in the YJ.

Questions:
1. How will fit the 4.0L engine+auto transmission+transfer case in the 4.2L Wrangler? What changes and/or adapting, I should expect to have to do? Will the original transaxles of the YJ will fit to the new tranny? I am aware I must be prepared to curse a while until I fit the XJ electronics into the YJ but, I have a good friend which I hope will do this part of the job for me.
2. Would it be easier to keep the original transmission of the YJ and swap only the engine? In this case, the transmission will hold, if there’s a plus difference of 75 HP?
3. How will fit the V8-5.2L Magnum+auto transmission+transfer case in the 4.0L Cherokee? What changes and/or adapting, I should expect to have to do? Will the original transaxles of the XJ will fit to the new tranny? The same like the above for the electronics…
4. If I keep the original automatic transmission of the XJ, will it fit to the new V8 engine and will it hold to its higher torque (I assume the power difference won’t bother, because is not so big)

If you ask why I want to do the swaps well, the answer is simple: the 4.2 L engine is lazy and underpowered, apart from the fact that the idea of having a carburetor under the hood, makes me think to the Stone Age! Not speaking about the difference: 190 HP against the actual 115! As for the Magnum in the XJ… the sound of the V8 is music to my ears! Of course, the increase in torque and power count a lot and will make a real difference!

I am a land survey engineer and I drive a lot daily, about the same distance on and off road. I could afford to buy some modern truck but the fact is that I am very fond of my jeeps. They never let me down and so far, I never seen more reliable cars! Ok, they are not really brilliant in the fuel economy but it’s a price worth to pay!

Again, any advice from you, especially from the ones of you who previously done such jobs, will be highly appreciated!

A little searching will show you that the V8 wont fit in the XJ without quite a bit of modification, also you are going to need a hood scoop

the YJ swap will also be difficult i would try to grab the wiring harness for an HO yj and swap it over entirely then plop the XJ engine and trans in

Of course that before opening this thread, I made a lot of searching on the issue. Unfortunately, all the related posts I found, are quite unclear. Regarding the both swaps, some say they're piece of pie, while others say is almost impossible. My opinion is that the truth is somewhere in between...
However, I'm decided to do the job!

About the hood scoop, I guess you're right, even if over Youtube I seen a lot of V8 Cherokees (XJ), without any scoops! Anyway, scoop or no scoop, I'm sure it will be the most unimportant of the problems I'll meet during the job...

For the 4.0L engine into the YJ, I'm almost sure that the only problem will be to setup the electronics. About the other swap, well, things are different here, since I don't know (yet), if the clutch and the gearbox will fit to the Magnum. Maybe I'll have (almost sure of it), to make some new engine supports, but, what else?

Thank you ROBZ, before opening the thread, I read also the thread your link sent me to but there is rather a general talk... I need something more than that, I hope you understand me.

There, you guys talk about fitting a V8 in a XJ but here, I really mean what I say: I want to fit a 5.2 Magnum from a ZJ, into my XJ, not an other V8.

its not a popular swap, its one of those things that your gonna have to learn as you go, anything is possible, rumor has it that theres a 440 MJ out there

Back