• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modded a bought bumper...

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd throw this out there... I bought a DIY winch bumper from JCR and was very pleased with it. But since I'm not one to leave well enough alone..and since I really like the design of the ARB bull bar (but not the cost), I figured I'd try and add to the already good design of JCRs procuct. What do you guys think so far??
160026d1355076999t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0573.jpg
160027d1355076999t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0574.jpg
160029d1355077026t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0575.jpg
160030d1355077026t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0576.jpg
160031d1355077040t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0577.jpg

Thanks sir. Yeah... the bull bar look is a bit over kill/clunky compared to what is the norm for rock crawling etc. But as I've gotten older and more towards exploring versus the 3 BIs (build it/beat it/break it...repeat) I've come to like them more. Once I'm done bending the tubes I hope it will tie all together more...

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how it turns out! I intend to buy that bumper and I already have just a simple classic full brush guard so I was going to cut the mounts off and weld tabs to the bottom and bolt it to the bumper. I like that this is going to be more custom!

Looks great so far man. As long as you keep the hoop tasteful, it'll look great.

Why are you guys complaining it's overkill for crawling? Look at tons of TJ bumpers and you'll see a grille hoop and a stinger, made to protect the grille and radiator in case of a roll. This is basically the same thing. And it doesn't hurt clearance or approach angle. This is a great alternative to the normal ARB bumper.

This is a great alternative to the normal ARB bumper.

And stronger! ARBs are actually pretty weak. My buddy had one on his ZJ and got in a low speed fender bender in traffic and one side bent in. Not alot but at the speed he was going I would have expected it to hold up better. That and we took a mini sledge hammer and hammered it back in place. Can't imagine what would happen if you came down hard on it on the trail!

And stronger! ARBs are actually pretty weak. My buddy had one on his ZJ and got in a low speed fender bender in traffic and one side bent in. Not alot but at the speed he was going I would have expected it to hold up better. That and we took a mini sledge hammer and hammered it back in place. Can't imagine what would happen if you came down hard on it on the trail!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to play with the tubing size a little when I do the headlight wrap arounds and may even look at using flat stock as well. The other hurdle I have to think about is the winch. I'd prefer to still be able to remove it/install it without having to pull the entire bumper. to that end I am thinking the top center tube will be fixed and the lower one a bolt on somehow. Still have to work out the details in my head. :) I'll post a pic of my inspiration as well as a very crude (feel free to laugh, my computer skills suck! haha!) MS paint of the center tube...
160036d1355079306t-modifying-bought-bumper-5277733113_755c0e5d75_z.jpg

ok.... so the paint thing didn't really work out so well. You'll just have to stick around and see what I do. haha!

i know its made this way to protect all of the front end..... but i HATE how those bumper tubes angle up and out away from the body lines on the ARB bumper. please address this with your rendition!

other than that it looks great so far... im more a fan of tube pre runner style bumpers myself, but it does look good!

Edit: also, if you mean flat stock as in the metal you used to wrap your uprights, you will kill the work youve done so far. I think it would look hack with anything less than tube

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to play with the tubing size a little when I do the headlight wrap arounds and may even look at using flat stock as well. The other hurdle I have to think about is the winch. I'd prefer to still be able to remove it/install it without having to pull the entire bumper. to that end I am thinking the top center tube will be fixed and the lower one a bolt on somehow. Still have to work out the details in my head. :)

Thanks for the pics ... have been looking for some that showed those style uprights in that position.

Its a fair distance between the uprights ... so give some thought to the material strength of the tube ... if you intend to use the bar for bumping furry animals at high speeds .. ;)

^ thats what i was thinking, honestly if they didnt look so huge i would be very interested in them.... i've killed far to many deer with my vehicles

Need huge ... to kill properly .. ;) .. :D

RedToy01.jpg
FordUte01Bar.jpg

i know its made this way to protect all of the front end..... but i HATE how those bumper tubes angle up and out away from the body lines on the ARB bumper. please address this with your rendition!

other than that it looks great so far... im more a fan of tube pre runner style bumpers myself, but it does look good!

Edit: also, if you mean flat stock as in the metal you used to wrap your uprights, you will kill the work youve done so far. I think it would look hack with anything less than tube

Are you talking about this part here?
160580d1355298196-modifying-bought-bumper-5277733113_755c0e5d75_z-copy.jpg

I'm guessing they did that to keep all of the tubing on the bumper to get a 360 weld on it...? I don't have that much room outside the fender with the JCR bumper so I may have to do some creative tube work. How bad would it be to kinda half fish eye the tube and let part of it stay on the bumper top and the other half taper down along its vertical outside edge? I'll see if I can play with Paint and give you an idea what I mean...:dunno:
As for the flat stock... I was simply thinking that if it ran as the lower horizontal between the head light and the turn signal it may not look so bad? It would also allow the turn signal to be seen better and maybe I wouldn't have to create some sort of signal in the bumper instead? Any input is appreciated as always and thanks for the compliments!

Thanks for the pics ... have been looking for some that showed those style uprights in that position.

Its a fair distance between the uprights ... so give some thought to the material strength of the tube ... if you intend to use the bar for bumping furry animals at high speeds .. ;)

Need huge ... to kill properly .. ;) .. :D

Holy overkill! hahaha! Your really not helping my build it 4x more heavy duty than it should be nature...;) I really hope those bumpers are aluminum!

RedToy01.jpg
FordUte01Bar.jpg

Today's update...
All fab work is finished and the rust has been removed. Two coats of primer brushed on (don't ask!) and hopefully tomorrow I can squirt some paint at it! :)

163163d1356372413t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0634.jpg

163164d1356372413t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0636.jpg

163165d1356372427t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0638.jpg

163166d1356372427t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0639.jpg

163167d1356372436t-modifying-bought-bumper-img_0640.jpg

:us:

Love how it turned out! Can't wait to see it painted and mounted up on your Jeep! Would definitely recommend sending a picture to the JCR crew!

Love how it turned out! Can't wait to see it painted and mounted up on your Jeep! Would definitely recommend sending a picture to the JCR crew!

Thanks a bunch! I'm excited and hoping to shoot some paint at it today. *crosses fingers* :)
I actually did send an email to JCR offering some randumb ideas I had for projects but never heard back....*shrugs* Oh well... 'm just happy mine is turning out well and almost finished! :) Once the winch is on its gonna be a bear to wrestle into place so I'll have to find some help. I wouldn't say its overkill heavy but defiantly more than just the bumper alone. Hardest part will be getting it on the frame as my XJ has some issues with the passenger side where it got bumped in its earlier life. Proof the factory stuff is a joke IMHO. But while it is a bit of a struggle to get it on it will be sweet when it is! :) Then I have to figure where to put the winch controller and wire up the lights. ;)

Not my style of bumper at all but the craftsmanship is good!, i feel like if you hit anything with that bumper it has potential to fold in and damage more stuff. i just finished my pre-runner type bumper, I'm pretty happy with mine.

Good job thou! Hope it doesn't stay orange :)

Good job thou! Hope it doesn't stay orange :)

Thanks sir! Its design isn't for everyone but I like it. :) As for it doing more damage... I don't think that is very likely. Any accident that can budge this thing will likely be a total. As I was first starting the uprights and hadn't had a chance to add the cross tubes and such, I used it to push my built Scrambler and got no movement. It was some pretty strong pushed and the contact was almost at the top of the riser so I feel pretty confident its not going anywhere.
As for the color... You should have seen it as I was putting it on!!! Its some weird German primer that goes on...get this, PINK! Ack!!! But dries to orange which I suppose is helpful? Haha! Final color will be much less... obnoxious, honest! :)

Last edited:
Back