• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to drop my tranny... (help tips)

BlueRockRash

NAXJA Forum User
I believe my front seal is leaking on my tranny i have the aw4. the rear main seal has always leaked and i need to install a SYE. I have to drop the transfer case to pull the tranny. And wont it be easier to do the rear main seal with the tranny dropped? anything else i can/or should change while its in pieces?​

The only reason you need to pull the trans is if the front seal is leaking.

You don't have to split the xfer case off to drop the trans, but is does make it easier/make a lighter package to pull it first. A good trans jack is a worthwhile investment for the job. You have to drop the oil pan to change the rear main seal. 'Trans doesn't have to come out, and even if you do pull it, the pan still has to come off. You also don't need to pull the transfer case to install a SYE kit, although it is much easier on a bench.
Get the reverse torx (star) socket you need for the top 2 trans bolts. I think it's an E-10 or E-12, can't remember which.

The only reason you need to pull the trans is if the front seal is leaking.

You don't have to split the xfer case off to drop the trans, but is does make it easier/make a lighter package to pull it first. A good trans jack is a worthwhile investment for the job. You have to drop the oil pan to change the rear main seal. 'Trans doesn't have to come out, and even if you do pull it, the pan still has to come off. You also don't need to pull the transfer case to install a SYE kit, although it is much easier on a bench.
Get the reverse torx (star) socket you need for the top 2 trans bolts. I think it's an E-10 or E-12, can't remember which.

E12. Those screws are threaded 3/8"-16, so just go match the underhead length with a regular hex head and replace them - ditch those E-torx things outright.

Sears usually has a set of E-torx socket by Lisle that are of good quality.

I have a guy that will do the SYE for 100 out of the jeep and 150 in the jeep. should i replace the chain as well in the tranfer case.. and i believe my front seal is leaking. OK thats good to know on the oil pan too because i knew you had to drop the oil pan to change it but wasn't sure if i had to with the tranny removed.

For 50 bucks I'd pull the Xfr case. 'Only takes about an hour. It's not that hard, and you can throw new seals at it while it's out.

Back