• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB super 30 question?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with a high pinion 30 non disco, that i ordered a super 30 kit for with and ARB. I took everything out of the axle, then started to look at ARB's instructions for installing the locker. In ARB's instructions section 3.1 page 12 it says Insuring adequate Oil Drainage... My question is I would think that this does not apply to a Dana 30 axle because the oil is not actually in the tubes. Does anyone have any experience with this? I believe its due to the fact that the ARB moves the shims to the outside of the bearings instead of in between the bearings and the carrier, that makes it so on some axles the oil can not drain back into the pumpkin from the axle tubes. I appreciate any help, i couldnt find much about this.

I think you are correct. When we installed man ARB in the D30, we didn't do anything special.

You're supposed to notch the housing for oil to drain back from the bearings.

Pictures shamlessly stolen from google image search, they are not mine.

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

Thanks for the pics... so your saying that it applies to the Dana 30 axle also? Just sayin thats not a dana 30 in that picture... Notching would make more sense to me in a rear axle.. but i dont know for sure thats why im asking. Thanks for your help

Yeah, wouldn't notching a front like that allow differential fluid to just run out the axle ends? They are sealed at the pumpkin with no oil in the tubes... where as a rear is sealed at the ends to allow oil down the tubes. Isn't that correct? When I did seals on my 8.25 it only had ones on the axle ends by the hub...

The only axle this is ever needed on (at least in my experience, and I have done literally hundreds to a thousand axles) is the Dana 44 that is found in prior to JK (2007) housings, as well as it seems, Dana also just recently in the 2012 also left out the drain back slot.

Alright thanks for the help. it looks like i do not have to grind holes in my axle, like the instructions say. Just thought i would see what everyone else thought. Although i guess it could not hurt to put them there, its just really not needed.

Thanks xjeeper thats some nice work on the axle. So you didnt notch the axle, and your having no problems i take it?

I know I have never notched any front diff...and certainly not the D30 with ARB currently in the front of my XJ now...and never had any problems.

The notch is to let the gear lube back out of the axle tube, and front diffs have a seal there keeping said gear lube from getting into said axle tube.

You'll be fine.

I know I have never notched any front diff...and certainly not the D30 with ARB currently in the front of my XJ now...and never had any problems.

The notch is to let the gear lube back out of the axle tube, and front diffs have a seal there keeping said gear lube from getting into said axle tube.

You'll be fine.

With this in mind is it safe to say i'd be beneficial only for a rear axle(Dana44)?

Back