• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 ABS vs. Non-ABS swap

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Doing a little research and cant find the answer to my question, which is:

Are front axle housings interchangeable between ABS and non-ABS models?

I ask because I may have bent axle housing. If this is the case, Ill have to find an entire assembly at the JY. My XJ had ABS, but the dana 35 was changed out with a Chrysler 8.25 by the PO. So, since I currently don't have ABS, if I do swap in a "new" assembly, I want to go with a non-ABS model. I was just curious if I had to swap calipers, discs, etc. or what.

Currently, all the ABS "plumbing" appears to be on the XJ. I simply havent had the want or need to pull all of it out. Im just trying to get the best deal I can and it seems that my local JY's want more for an ABS assembly than a non one.

Thanks all!

The housing is the same, just swap the axle shafts and sensor brackets over to the non ABS housing.

The tone rings are on the axle shafts themselves

He already deleted the ABS as he stated, I believe the question was if it will just swap over. Yes, but you will want the ABS axles shafts in the non ABS axle for the simple reason of the ABS model has larger u joints so they are a little stronger. Other than the shafts just drop it in. Hold on to the non ABS shafts for spares and just rebuild the joints on em, cuz a weaker non abs spare is better than no spare.

He already deleted the ABS as he stated, I believe the question was if it will just swap over. Yes, but you will want the ABS axles shafts in the non ABS axle for the simple reason of the ABS model has larger u joints so they are a little stronger. Other than the shafts just drop it in. Hold on to the non ABS shafts for spares and just rebuild the joints on em, cuz a weaker non abs spare is better than no spare.

I missed that key point LOL!

Thanks. The PO's grandfather smashed into a mailbox, I'm still working the kinks out from that and the general lack of maintenance. I'm replacing the tie rod setup (completely with ZJ) and also the steering box (Durango upgrade) soon. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll be pulling the axle shafts and inspecting the housing.

I know my luck, hence why I was asking about the swap. I'm leaning that the inner C is bent...which means a "new" assembly will be on my list and I can pick a non-abs assembly for $100-150 less than an abs one.

Back