• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re centering front axle

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
My front axle looks to be sitting about 1 - 1/4" to the drivers side. It's been 5 years since I installed my lift. Everything is tight and secure.

Planning to recenter tomorrow.

If I recall correctly I can just disconnect the top of the track bar, adjust it a bit longer and use the steering to shift the axle over and bolt the track bar back on.

Right?

How strange. I have never had one change positions.

Disconnect the track bar.

Get behind the wheel and wiggle the steering wheel vigorously and stop at center.

Get out and verify the wheel alignment.

Adjust track bar and bolt on.

-Ron

Doing that will preload the panhard joints and cause them to wear quicker.

What you should do is pull the springs and shocks, disconnect both upper control arms level the jeep and the axle re center the axle with the panhard, then set the pinion angle with one upper CA then float the other into place so that the bolts can be pushed through the bushings by hand.

If you are lazy, with the jeep on flat ground what you can do is disconnect the panhard, bounce on the front bumper a few times, steer the tires back and forth, and drive it back and forth in a straight line a few times. Then adjust the panhard so you can put the bolt through by hand.

It may not appear to be centered by looking at it, but what is more important than it being centered to your probably bent body is that it is centered to the rear axle and doesn't pull when driving.

Is the top end regular or reverse threaded into the track bar? It's the RE adjustable that mounts to the stock bracket.

I can't get the end or lock nut to budge, want to make sure I am at least trying in the right direction.

Edit: RE site says left (reverse). Back out to the driveway!

Last edited:
Back