• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hindged Grille

CrazyEye7

NAXJA Forum User
So I once had an old military jeep. One of the coolest things I thought was that the whole front grille was on hinges. Unbolt 4 bolts and the whole front of the jeep would fold down and you had access to the entire front part of the motor. I now have a 94 Cherokee and am in the process of changing the water pump. What a PITA... So my question is. Has anyone ever done this on a cherokee? I have been kicking around the idea for a while now but after changing this water pump. Im going to figure out a way to do it and make it look good. Any thoughts on this?

Yes the entire section between the headlights would fold down to a 90 degree angle, radiator and all. Of course I would have to figure something out for the hoses.

the radiator extends past the grill opening.

This really is far more work than it's worth, especially when you can remove the radiator in 30 minutes with basic hand tools.

True, but next time you had to work on something in there. you could remove it in 30 seconds. Looking at it, it doesnt seem like that much work at all. Except that when you do need that extra clearance you understand you must drain your coolant as well.

the lower core support will still e directly in front of the harmonic balancer anyway.

and there's not much to be done about it as it's part of the chassis.

cool yes.
practical, probably not really.
PITA to engineer and make work, definitely

Back