• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft tail housing clearance

sheetsfa

NAXJA Forum User
Just did a swap to a 8.25 and my driveshaft and only clearing the tailehousing by 1/2". What is the minimum clearance to allow for flexing? I want to do the SYE but for now I need to make this work. 5" lift, np242 t-case, 1990 Cherokee. Thanks in advance.

May need a driveshaft intended for an 8.25 or 44 vehicle, they have a longer pinion on the diff. Pick up a rear driveshaft from an 87-95 donor with a rear 44 or 8.25, any tcase (231 and 242 share the same front to back length for driveshafts), the same transmission and engine as yours has. Or have yours shortened a bit and rebalanced but that'll probably cost $100+.

I'd check your local (CO chapter) classifieds and post a WTB ad if no one has one listed, stock driveshafts generally aren't worth much. If they weren't all smashed up by forklifts at the local you-pull I'd have a choice between half a dozen donors for $20-30 per driveshaft.

8.8s have a fairly short pinion compared to 8.25s/44s, so I'm not unduly surprised to hear that. I'm not sure if that's taking into account the ujoint to flange adapter, though.

Thanks for the replies, one thing I didn't think of was removing my t-case drop since it might not be needed as long as I don't get vibrations. If that doesn't work I'll head to the jy to hopefully find a shorter one.

Back