• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing

M1A1TankerTom

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently ordering a 3 inch OME lift for my 99 XJ. I'm also ordering a set of 31x10.5 Goodyear duratracs. I want to run a set of 15x7 soft eight wheels. What backspacing do i need? I have done some searching and it seems like most people say 4" or 3.75" of backspacing, but which is better? Thanks!

Less than an 1/8" each direction....hard to say it even matters. 3.5" puts you dead center of wheel fwiw.

whatever you can get a good deal on.

I'm running 3.75" BS with a 3" lift, no control arm rubbing and full stuff of 31" BFG AT's without trimming (except for air dam flare).

'98 Classic

I'm currently ordering a 3 inch OME lift for my 99 XJ. I'm also ordering a set of 31x10.5 Goodyear duratracs. I want to run a set of 15x7 soft eight wheels. What backspacing do i need? I have done some searching and it seems like most people say 4" or 3.75" of backspacing, but which is better? Thanks!

I feel the minimum backspacing should be 4"... but i have 3.75" and works perfect for me; and i have 15x8 rims.

i ran 4" and it stuffed perfectly. Cant say 3.75 would not. 3.5 might not stuff w/out trimming. 4" didnt rub on my control arms either.

I am running 10.5 x 33 BFG ATs on 4.0" BS soft 8s. I think that BS is perfect. You may consider getting the bent LCAs for a Wrangler if you worry about rubbing. I only have one regret with this setup. I should had bought 16" wheels with the same BS! The 15" tires are becoming less common and are more expensive than their 16" brethern. Also, if you may go to WJ brakes down the road, they will easily fit inside the 16" wheels. Since you are buying new wheels anyway, buy 16" wheels.

You should be fine.

I'm about to switch out of my 15x8 ProComp steelies with 3.75 BS. They worked well with a 4.5" lift and 32x11.5R15 BFGs. However, the wheels stick out quite a bit and I am not ready to install the flat Bushwackers yet - I do have them.

I am switching tomorrow to TJ wheels, 16x8 Moabs, which have a 5" BS and will have 265/75R16 Duratracs mounted. While the wheel is narrower by an inch, I gain a lot of back spacing and I am quite concerned about rubbing. If it does rub on the springs or LCAs, I will need to use spacers - not to happy about that..

I will second the 16 inch wheel recommendation. Used tires are a dime a dozen in sizes up to 35 inch. I have a 90% set of 265/75r16's on my suburban that I paid $150 for on rims. They are basically a 32" tire. Paid $450 for a set of 315/75r16's which are 35 inch and they have 75% tread and came on rims.

Peachy! I'm in the wheel shoppping mode and am seeing no 15" tires on the racks. I'd like to go to 16" but have 4 almost new Cooper STT in 31x10.5 and a 5th that's never been on the ground (all on Eccos). Maybe I need to buy cheap steelies (no black) until I wear these tires out then move to 16 in a polished wheel I really like. Or try to unload the Cooper/Ecco combo but ya know how that loses money.

Good info tho'.

Thanks.

Back