• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Gauge at max regardless of power

vin man

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ 4.0 Inline with automatic Trans

Oil Press gauge is pegged on maximum whether key is on or off. Is it the gauge, the sender, or a bad ground? Something else?

Only troubleshooting I have done so far is make sure the connector is snug on the sender. I'm not very good with electrical stuff.

Last edited:
is it the fuel gauge or the oil gauge ??

"Is it the gauge, the sender, or a bad ground?"

YES!

"Is it the gauge, the sender, or a bad ground?"

YES!

I was wondering who was going to provide that answer. I have not been on the board enough to know if I should be surprised it was you....:cheers:

But with almost 10,000 posts, you appear to have the answer for everything!:yap:

I was wondering who was going to provide that answer. I have not been on the board enough to know if I should be surprised it was you....:cheers:

But with almost 10,000 posts, you appear to have the answer for everything!:yap:

LOL. I was being serious, but take an ohm meter and check the engine ground near the oil dip stick to battery negative post ground. Needs to be less than 1 ohm, engine off.

The sensor should show a measurable resistance from the one contact to the block. If >=1 ohm or infininate the sensor is bad. The wire could be bad too (option 4). Then the dash gauges ground could be bad.

I have not seen a bad oil dash gauge, but it could be stuck!!!

But I still need the answer to eternal youth, getting old, LOL.

if the gauge reads 0 with the power off and full scale with the switch on, then the gauge is fine, but the sensor or wiring is the problem, with the sensor being the most common. I haven't gone back and read the whole post, but if the sensor has been changed, the possibility is that you got a switch (idiot light) version instead of the gauge version.

if the gauge reads 0 with the power off and full scale with the switch on, then the gauge is fine, but the sensor or wiring is the problem, with the sensor being the most common. I haven't gone back and read the whole post, but if the sensor has been changed, the possibility is that you got a switch (idiot light) version instead of the gauge version.

Gauge always reads max - never moves to zero - whether power is on or off.

Back