• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes clunking

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, this Jeep seems to have sticking brakes for the first 2 blocks it is driven while cold, usually in the AM. It presents as a regular clunking noise from the front end, usually 2x a second or so. After 2 blocks driving, it goes away.
With the wheels off on the lift, hand turning the rotor shows the problem right away : the brake pads seem to drag on the rotor, causing the caliper to twist on its bushings & then suddenly rebound, causing a clunk. Keep turning the rotor, it keeps happening - caliper twists on its mounts & rebounds, clunking.
PBR rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Worldpac rebuild calipers (have been replaced w/ no change) and new rubber brake lines (previously had stainless, replaced on suspicion of internal damage).

So, without blindly replacing the rest of the brake system... what could be causing this binding when cold? Anyone have experience with this issue?

I've considered replacing the brake caliper bushings & installing anti rattle clips from Raybestos, though the last set of anti rattle clips I tried squeeled against the rotors. Also thought about using brake pads with the shims included, as there are no shims in between bracket & pad currently.
Just hate to spend money blindly, y'know?

How's the surface where the pads rest on the knuckle? They tend to wear grooves where the pads sit, jamming the mounting ears into the grooves. I've had to fix the grooves on two of our fleet, one by a light grinding, the other by filling with weld and grinding. Take a look, and let us know.

It is lightly worn. I haven't broke out the feeler gauges, but I think it is 1mm or under. I do get the single "clunk" when hitting the brakes, too, but am more irritated by the repeated clunking with the brakes cold.

Earplugs perhaps?

FWIW your using stuff I know nothing about, but on the OEM side I discovered three easy wrong ways to install the OEM anti-rattle clips.

Ecomike, got pics or advice on how to do it right? I only ever saw the anti ratltles installed on an online pic... not convinced I got it right (though I was fairly sure at the time)

I finally figured out I think from a picture in the Haynes manual of all places. Or it was an old thread here from 6 years ago (maybe both, I forget). I know the Haynes manual has a pretty decent view of it installed correctly, but I also know it is damn easy to to install them wrong and look right!!!! LOL.

There is a bit of trick to installing them too, unless you have four hands!!

So, this Jeep seems to have sticking brakes for the first 2 blocks it is driven while cold, usually in the AM. It presents as a regular clunking noise from the front end, usually 2x a second or so. After 2 blocks driving, it goes away.
With the wheels off on the lift, hand turning the rotor shows the problem right away : the brake pads seem to drag on the rotor, causing the caliper to twist on its bushings & then suddenly rebound, causing a clunk. Keep turning the rotor, it keeps happening - caliper twists on its mounts & rebounds, clunking.
PBR rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Worldpac rebuild calipers (have been replaced w/ no change) and new rubber brake lines (previously had stainless, replaced on suspicion of internal damage).

So, without blindly replacing the rest of the brake system... what could be causing this binding when cold? Anyone have experience with this issue?

I've considered replacing the brake caliper bushings & installing anti rattle clips from Raybestos, though the last set of anti rattle clips I tried squeeled against the rotors. Also thought about using brake pads with the shims included, as there are no shims in between bracket & pad currently.
Just hate to spend money blindly, y'know?

Year?

Honestly I have never heard the problem.

If a newer caliper system:
Make sure slider rails on knuckle are flat. Sometimes older units get indents where the pads have been riding, which prevents the pad from floating. Build up with welder and grind flat is they are not.
Replace caliper assemblies. If used Off-Road they seem to collect moisture and stick (or) seize up.
Make sure outer pads dimples are in the holes in the calipter. This usually just causes a squeal due to uneven wear of the outer pad.
Replace discs. Could be out of round.
This last one may sound dumb. Make sure wheels actually tighten disc to hub ;)

-Ron

Last edited:
Here's some info from a FSB that may apply to your '98:

NO: 05-02-98
GROUP: Brakes
DATE: Mar. 13, 1998
SUBJECT:
Front Brake Click MODELS:
1997 - 1998 (TJ) Wrangler
1997 - 1998 (XJ) Cherokee
1997 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A single click can be heard when the driver applies the brakes while traveling forward. The noise will normally occur the first time the brakes are applied while moving forward, following a brake application in reverse. An improved brake pad has been developed with increased tension on the anti-rattle clip to reduce the free play between the pad metal backing and the knuckle.
DIAGNOSIS:
Start the vehicle and apply the brakes while moving slowly in reverse. Put the transmission in drive and apply the brakes after the vehicle starts moving. If the noise is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

Back