• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor/caliper quick question...

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Been looking at some of the threads here and I think I got this right, just would like a wiser person to confirm it for me. :)
Have a 2001 2WD XJ that I am planning on swapping my 96 Dana 30 into. As best I can understand the unibearings and rotors are different... but my parts searches show the calipers are the same?? Is this right or is the parts place (Rock Auto) data base messing with me? It shows...
..............91................... 2001
Rotors.... PRT1602FC............. PRT5276
Calipers.. L5S641M (lf)........... same
.............L55640M (rt).......... same
Unibearings.... 513084........... HA597449

Why do I ask... well, mostly because the only thing on the axle I don't think is reusable is the brakes as they are rusty turds. I had bought an extra set of pads/rotors for my other 91 but hoped to use them on the 01 with the 96 axle in it. Since I have rotors and pads that seem to fit... the calipers already on the 01 should work fine, right? Please just ease my mind before the disassembly shananigins begin. Thanks! :)

1990-2001 calipers are all the same.

From this FAQ Sticky : Unit Hub and brake differences through the years

Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and disk brake rotor types were used over the years on XJ D30's. The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) Original AMC hubs used 1984 through 1989 (AMC brake rotors and calipers, and AMC roller bearing hubs)

2) Older type unit hubs ( Jeep Part number 53007449 ) used 1990 through 1999.5 ( Use Composite brake rotors).

3) New type unit hubs ( Jeep Part number 5016458 ) used 1999.5 through 2001 ( Use Cast brake rotors). .

Two types of steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers.

Last edited:
Back