• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ headlights only work by holding hibeam switch

avnsteve

NAXJA Forum User
just picked up a 98xj, 4.0, automatic 255k miles 2WD. bought new headlamps, they still don't work. the only part that works is high beams when you hold the high beam switch. I'm familiar with renix, but these "new" rigs are unfamiliar territory, any help?

Could be either of the switches or a fuse. Fuse 7 in the PDC under the hood feeds the head light circuit. It should be good though if you still have the flash to pass. The LG wire for the headlamp switch feeds the high low selector switch on the column. VT/WT is the low beam feeder from the selector switch to the junction block on the passenger side kick panel. From there fuses 4 (left low) and 5 (right low) feed each individual lamp. VT is the left lamp, and VT/RD is the right.

No low beams? Did you pull the light switch?

High Beam activation works like:

Pull towards you to "Flash" (Works whether lights are on or not).
Push away from you to activate Hi Beams.

Ah... No Low Beams? High Beams?
Low Beam takes a separate path from the High Beams just after the Light Switch.
Path> Light switch to High Beam switch.
Path>Flash is fed around Light Switch to the High Beam switch (separate part of switch).

If Just no low beams look at Fuse 4 coming off High Beam Switch to feed Low Beams.
If both, I would suspect the Light Switch, the High Beam Switch.

There is a Headlight Timer, but it simply bypasses the light switch for a given amount of time.

-Ron

Last edited:
Fuses, relays, wires, switch. It's that simple

Test for 12 volts, and find out where it goes away. Check for continuity and excessive resistance on the power and ground connections. Look for damaged or corroded wires and failed wire splices.

definitely need a new switch, it failed, overheated, and melted the multiplug. I have bodged it together, but doubt it's gonna last

after you replace it, do a headlight harness and move the load to underhood relays. The factory wiring is undersized and leads to burnt things in the dash.

plus your lights will get brighter.

Last edited:
Don't go HID, just H4 conversion, upgraded harness n brighter ( if ya want) bulbs.
I'm running a LMC harness, autopall Ecode housings and 55w/100w H4 bulbs. Whole thing cost less than 80 bucks.
Huge difference.

I had a funky smell in a 2000 xj for a few weeks it wasn't bad and then it started giving me a head ache- I was almost to the point where I was going to trade it in when I figured out it was the headlight switch melting. The plastic odor was getting me.

One I replaced that things were good- but it was very similar to what you reported.

replaced the switch, still no low beams, no high beams, only flash to pass works, the headlamps definitely work, I installed them in another rig to check. PO rigged up fog lamps off the head light plug, eliminated that, low beams still don't work, WTF?

Have 12 volts at the switch ? Have 12 volts after the switch ? Have 12 volts at the fuses ? Have continuity in the wires ? Have low Resistance at the ground connections ?

Last edited:
replaced the switch, still no low beams, no high beams, only flash to pass works, the headlamps definitely work, I installed them in another rig to check. PO rigged up fog lamps off the head light plug, eliminated that, low beams still don't work, WTF?
Which switch? The headlight switch in the dash or the multifunction switch on the column?

Back