• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery cables/ground?

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty sure I know whats causing this but I just wanted to run it by the experts (you guys) to confirm my suspicions. The issue is when starting up, it turns over a couple times, the lights flicker a bit, and then finally it starts up. There never seems to be an actual issue starting the vehicle, in that it always starts just sometimes in 2 seconds, sometimes in 8-10. I just replaced the distributor cap/rotor, wires and spark plugs and my battery is a fairly new Optima Yellow Top. Given that my battery has never died, I'm doubting it has anything to do with the alternator. If it were the starter I would imagine it wouldn't turn over at all. So, I'm guessing its just corroded battery cables, although, they don't really look that bad compared to some others I have seen around. Strangest thing is, if I turn the key to acc position, and let the stereo and headlights turn on and stuff first, it actually seems to start up right away, every time. Can you explain that? lol

Anyhow, would you all think that I am correct in this assumption? If so, I found this although it says its for a 1999-2001 and I cant seem to find one specifically for my model range (1995 4.0). However, I found this guys write up here on NAXJA. Which I am going to try to follow, but I'm not sure if he is covering any "extra" stuff that may be beneficial to do. Anything else y'all would recommend I do while I'm in there, as it relates to any wiring that i will probably be yanking out?

First off, I like optima they are not as good as they were when the original company owned it, but still a good product, however the yellow top is a deep cycle, I don’t care how they market it. Deep cycles are for extended use of low draw, not for starting amps, and another problem is they don’t release amps fast, they are rather slow. But unless you are in a polar region it should get it started.

On the write up vs. the cable replacement. The problem the guy had was severely corroded terminals, 5 minutes time and some baking soda would have produced similar results, and here is why, the green solenoid wire is oxidized, I can see that without a meter, so it will have reduced voltage due to high resistance, installing a new ring terminal is pointless without replacing the wire, and finally installing junk marine wing nut terminals on the battery, in 6 months the resistance levels will be right back where they were when he started.

Don’t get me wrong, it is not bad to do but the solenoid wire should have been on a relay and the battery terminals should be military spec or at least better quality than what was shown. On the new cable kit from Mopar, it is better quality cable and battery terminals.

So find out what you are dealing with, start with a fuel pump test, and make sure your pressure check valve is holding. Next do a voltage drop on everything, battery cable from the battery to the alternator, to the starter, to the fuse box, and the grounds, here is how to do it: http://www.rushpowersystems.net/?p=3

Replace what is bad, clean everything, and then seal the connections with battery sealer, or hair spray, or black silicone. Keep in mind most electrical problems start with grounds and jeeps are not very well grounded to begin with. Every vehicle I buy starts with a ground kit, I run ground cables to the alternator brackets, starter, engine block, frame, and body.

Back