• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head replacement 2001 XJ

faering

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I'm going to replace the head on my 2001 Cherokee (4.0 I6) next week, due to a cracked head. I'm going witht the ATK from 4WD Parts. Any thoughts on other things I should replace/check while I'm at it? Thanks.

i would shop around more first, that atk from 4wd parts is gonna be pricey! my buddy got his from jeep 911 for $400.00 and its a rebuilt and is working great. (jeep911.com)

other than that plugs wires basic tune-up etc. coolant, all gaskets, check your exhaust manifold for cracks easy to weld with it off. new belt and keep your old one for a trail spare. now is a great time to check your vacume lines.

Just got off the phone with Advance Auto. They have the ATK replacement head for $450 but are taking off a 20% discount. This replacement head does NOT include the rocker arm assemblies, however, and that's another 200 bucks. Is this common to not include the rocker arms? I'm going to try Clearwater in the morning. Alabama appears to be out of business.

Just got off the phone with Advance Auto. They have the ATK replacement head for $450 but are taking off a 20% discount. This replacement head does NOT include the rocker arm assemblies, however, and that's another 200 bucks. Is this common to not include the rocker arms? I'm going to try Clearwater in the morning. Alabama appears to be out of business.

The rockers will swap - clean them up and check for damage, bu they should be fine. Ditto the bridges & pivots.

Get a small pot/tube of engine assembly lube, and be generous with it at the rocker pivots and both ends of the pushrod. You can't use too much - it's oil-soluble and helps with engine run-in (on a freshly built engine) anyhow. It won't hurt parts that are already run in, so that's no trouble.

It's not critical to do so, but I would keep the pivot blocks matched to the rocker arms on the way out - zip-ties work well for this. Arrangement of the screws and bridges is unimportant, mix & match at will. Rocker arms theoretically don't matter, and I've not had any trouble mixing those around.

If you pull out a tappet, it must be coated with assembly lube, and it must go back into the exact same hole it came out of! If you get them out and you're even just a little bit unsure, replace them. There's no faster way to wreck a cam, that I know of, than mixing tappets (at least, that it's a fully catastrophic failure.)

The tappets are just under 1" in diameter - I've got a chunk of 2x4 lumber that I've drilled twenty 1" holes in using a Forstner bit (gives a flat-bottom blind hole) about 3/4" deep, and that works well to keep them sorted. One end of the board is marked "Front" (as in engine front,) and the holes are numbered in one row of 1-8 and the other row is 1-12 (works for any engine that way.) Cheap shop tool that has saved me a pantload of money over the years...

Clearwater provides a turn-key complete head for $5XX and are a great vendor. Definitely consider them.

Yes, Alabama Cylinder Head turned out the lights....

Hesco has an aluminum head last time I checked. I think it was $1000.00.

If you buy anything but the Clearwater (which is redesigned), be gol darned sure that the head is redesigned and beefed up in the cylinder 3-4 area, which is where the factory 0331 head cracks.

You do NOT want to put on a factory 0331 head that has simply been gone through.

How does the old saying go........Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Thanks everybody. I spoke to Clearwater this morning and that sounds like the way to go. The guy was super helpful. The shipping (CA) is included and they don't charge for the core up front. Thanks for the recommendation. Let's see how it goes.

I have a Jeep Crate Motor with the 0331 head on it. I had it put in about two years ago. Does anyone know if the head on my Crate Motor has been redesigned since it is a new crate motor and not one that came from the factory back in 2000.

I have a Jeep Crate Motor with the 0331 head on it. I had it put in about two years ago. Does anyone know if the head on my Crate Motor has been redesigned since it is a new crate motor and not one that came from the factory back in 2000.

Pull the oil fill cap. With a very good light, look inside. Do you see the word TUPY stamped in the head? If you do, you have the 0331 redesigned head and you'll be fine. If you do not see the word TUPY (between cylinders 3-4), it is most likely an original 0331. In which case, I would not install it without swapping the head.

TUPY is the Brazilian foundry company that received the redesign contract for the 0331 head.

http://www.tupy.com.br/ingles/home/index.php

Last edited:
Pull the oil fill cap. With a very good light, look inside. Do you see the word TUPY stamped in the head? If you do, you have the 0331 redesigned head and you'll be fine. If you do not see the word TUPY (between cylinders 3-4), it is most likely an original 0331. In which case, I would not install it without swapping the head.

TUPY is the Brazilian foundry company that received the redesign contract for the 0331 head.

http://www.tupy.com.br/ingles/home/index.php

Awsome you are the first to give me this info.

If you had any antifreeze in the oil I would drop the oil pan and check ALL the bearings. I installed the new Clearwater head, cam, lifters, rockers, pivots, timing chain and water pump. I did not check the main bearings very well and seized that sumbitch up after two months of driving. I just finished installing a new motor.

Back