• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler and Cat Protection

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in my 3rd Muffler and second cat in 3 years. I keep smashing them on rocks and poking holes in them. I am scared to put a skid under it because of it heating up the cab (I caught my carpet on fire in the rear passenger area on the way home from a wheeling trip couple years ago).

Any one have any ideas?

Just to clarify I will build and not buy (I'm metal fabricator). I have 2 weeks to figure it out before next wheeling trip.

No pics of the torn up mufflers but here is a pic of me tearing one up.

Thanks in advanced.

019.jpg

well u can always use the aluminum heat shield stuff on most cars and then fab a sloted or hole plate and maybe a remote fan if need be but nothing is guna be a life saver just prolong the life a few more trips

1/8" plate. on the bottom, sides, and the flat part on each end.

its the longest lasting muffler I have ever ran, no heat issues.

definitely plate the ends and weld the tubing to the plate so they don't pull out too.

76197_509797377074_7665740_n.jpg

What kind of muffler and CAT are you using? While not perfect, a 4x9 muffler and miniture CAT should have minimal exposure. It's hard to even see mine in this picture. Oh, and after 7 years it's still there.
mini-IMG_0305.JPG
mini-IMG_0305.JPG
mini-IMG_0305.JPG

Last edited:
1/8" plate. on the bottom, sides, and the flat part on each end.

its the longest lasting muffler I have ever ran, no heat issues.

definitely plate the ends and weld the tubing to the plate so they don't pull out too.

This will work great. Some one gave me a Flowmaster 40 today. I have so 1/8 diamond tread in the shop. This is happening tomorrow.

I made a removable 1/4" plate for my cat after I trashed a two week old Magnaflow cat :gonnablow. I also bought a couple of multi layer cookie sheets from big lots and put them in on top of the cat. I used some fiberglass header wrap in between the cat and cookie sheets and held it all together with long worm drive clamps. This has worked very well for me so far.

Back