• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Shimmy" in front axle on freeway

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally getting rid of most of the vibes i've had on the freeway, and i'm down to the last one!

Specs are: 1993 Cherokee, 5" long-arm lift, 33" tires. IRO trackbar and newer HD steering (ZJ stuff).

The problem i'm having is that when going faster (65+ mph) and going up an incline, the front end shimmies. I do not have the shimmy at any speed when cruising on a level surface or going down hill.

I rebuilt my driveshaft pretty recently, but it's just a stock one. I wondered if this was at all related to my caster. I currently have my pinion angle at the same angle as my driveshaft. I searched around on here and it seems the recommended setting is 2-3* down. Is that correct? I have Serious long arms so i can set it wherever it needs to be.

Am i on the right track or could there be something else causing this?

Yeah sorry, i tried to edit but i don't see the edit button anywhere (i'm having a monday).

I think it is basically a death wobble but it's very controlled (my front suspension is mostly new). There is a shaking from the front axle and i can feel it through the steering wheel. It feels as though the axle is shifting side to side.

I'm mostly confused that it matters how much load the vehicle is under.

I've never seen "Death Wobble" and "controlled" used in the same sentence.

I had an issue like you describe recently. New control arm bushings solved the problem for me.

Haha, yeah, true!
What i mean is that it feels like the start of death wobble but i think my track bar is soaking up most of the damage--it never gets to the point where the axle is rocking back and forth wildly.

I have a relatively new long-arm setup but i'll go through and check all the links.

I'm actually running air soft pellets for balancing. I'd agree with you, but it's weird to me that i can run it up to 80 with no shimmy on the downhill....

Back