• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rain gutter protection?

Crfrider

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found nothing but what i want to know is if anybody has welded steel rod into their rain gutters to strengthen/reinforce them.Maybe to act better when they smack a tree or rock ever so slightly. I would thinK this could help preventing them from folding and maybe even the roof crushing in some situations at the right angle were the gutter would normaly hit and fold first any insight?? Also no i dont want to here about some ugly roof sliders just if anybody has done this or if u see any problems with stuffing the gutter.. Thanks in advance steve

The problem lies in the fact that the underlying metal isn't really all that strong. You need to spread out the forces over the entire roof area to prevent things buckling. That is why you tend to see what is called a halo ring. Good looks don't always add up to being strong and working well.

The problem lies in the fact that the underlying metal isn't really all that strong. You need to spread out the forces over the entire roof area to prevent things buckling. That is why you tend to see what is called a halo ring. Good looks don't always add up to being strong and working well.

yes i undertand this but it would be better then nothing right?? if i dont do it im leaving it as is. just wonderign if anybody tried it

For the amount of cost and effort, personally, I don't think it would be worth it. Unless you used custom fitting HARDENED steel, you would not gain much.

I thought about that idea but decided to make a slider much like the TopHat but stronger and without the rack that I never will need or use. Also the TopHat does not have enough cross bracing for me either.

0312121904.jpg

0312121903.jpg

0304121520.jpg

I thought about that idea but decided to make a slider much like the TopHat but stronger and without the rack that I never will need or use. Also the TopHat does not have enough cross bracing for me either.

0312121904.jpg

0312121903.jpg

0304121520.jpg

Looks good. How does it mount?

Looks good. How does it mount?

It mounts to the factory rack mounting holes after the factory rack rails are removed. I went one step further and made steel plate inside the roof to reenforce the mounting and used longer screws with nuts. The load from a bump is spread through the whole slider through gusseting and cross bracing.

I wheel in really tight tree lined trails and so far it has done its job just fine.

Back