• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fork for 86 2.5L 4 cyl

PandaChief

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 86 Cherokee Chief, with the TBI 2.5L 4 cyl, 5-speed. From what I can find online (http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1986/1308965/jeep_cherokee_4wd_4-door_2_5l_5-speed.html) this is the AX5 transmission. I pulled the motor this weekend to get to the source of a clutch problem that had taken it out of comission some time ago. I discovered the clutch fork had fatigue cracked on both sides, and bent, leading to the slave cylinder shaft to fail to engage it. A call to the local dealer told me that this part is no longer manufactured, and not available. I'm not an XJ enthusiast (just someone that loves driving their jeep, trying to revive it for the second time), so I'm not familiar with where, if anywhere, I may be able to locate this part. Any ideas? The part looks like this (not my pic, but same motor/trans from an earlier post)

http://i41.tinypic.com/fenp0l.jpg[/IMG

Hopefully this is in the right sub-forum.

Yup... they actually call it either a W or G series transmission but it's the same unit, effectively, at least on the front half. The rear housing and some of the ratios are different but the design is quite similar and the bellhousings and (iirc) input shafts can be swapped back and forth to do unnatural things like putting a Jeep motor in a Toyota or vice versa :shiver:

I'm not entirely sure the clutch fork and hydraulics are the same, a friend of mine just traded his 86 22R/4speed manual hilux for an XJ and from what I remember of that accursed thing, the clutch master is on the passenger side of the bellhousing and is a different design.

We researched this because his 22R had some pretty ridiculous rod knock and weren't sure how long it was going to last, and I happened to have a parts AX5 and a Jeep/AMC 2.5L sitting in the yard at the time... and so began the jokes about putting the jeep drivetrain in the hilux, a little internet research then shockingly proved that it would actually work, and without swapping the entire transmission or the driveshaft!

From that pic, the ax-5 fork is nothing like the ax-15 fork(which is symmetrical). Yesterday I helped my brother drop his tranny&case in his '95 to replace a disintegrated throw-out bearing(4 hours start-finish, but could've done it in 3). Last year I bought a fork at the dealership for my '96 for $14-16.

Back