• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rim Suggestions Advice

Camping350

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for rim suggestions from SO Cal Peeps I currently have 33x12.5 by 15 on 15x8 with 4.5 backset. I want to go with 35's am thinking I need new rims with 4 inch backset looking for options steel or al? or any other advice.

Steel. I ran a 35x12.5 on a 16x8 with 4.5 inch bs. worked very well and kept the track narrower which i liked.

I was just worried because how close the tires are currently with 4.5 backset. So they should fit?

Current pic with 33 12.5 on 15x8 4.5
IMG_0091.jpg

They will look the same 33 or 35's, 12.50 is a 12.50. The only then i would worry about is the front rubbing. I know i rubbed a little on my long arms and inner fender well.I won't run steel wheels when crawling, never broke a rim yet but have seen the steel rims hook there lip on rocks.Aluminum is more of a round edge i think, not as sharp.

Looking for rim suggestions from SO Cal Peeps I currently have 33x12.5 by 15 on 15x8 with 4.5 backset. I want to go with 35's am thinking I need new rims with 4 inch backset looking for options steel or al? or any other advice.

Steel. Holds up better on the rocks.
I have the ProComp Steel 15x8 3.75 on 33"x12.5 Muds. I am happy with the size.

Yeah, hooking a rock is one thing, bent, or cracked wheels is worse in my opinion. For the hardcore crawling you intend to do, steel will last. And times two on the tire sizes being the same width so virtually identical in fit.

i've been running my aluminum outlaw II's for 3 years now and no issues.. and for those of u out there that have wheeled with me u all know how hard i am on my rig.

I guess I dont understand the hate on alloy? either should work depends on budget, aesthetics, and weight.

That was my question, those Grabbers look brand new.
I know there is to much wheel well left need bigger tires and banged the heck out of my long arms last weekend. Then comes the snow ball effect. will probably break something on drive train, I do already have chromoly 30 spline axels in the D30.

My issues with alloy wheels are simple.

1. When you bend one it is more costly to repair or replace.
2. If you buy the cheaper cast wheels they can crack.
3. When in rock, alloys get scratched and gouged to hell and then they dont look good anymore.
4. Changed one last weekend on turkey claw after it bent far enough it wouldnt hold air.

They do of course have the weight advantage. And the aesthetic side as long as you dont wheel them hard.

:dunno: (posted these pics cuz these two wheel hard as hell, and the wheels still look great i think)
IMG_1149.jpg

4E385089-5C57-442A-B2AA-1878EBE94BA7-10976-000005E76CF8EF46.jpg

Seem to hold up fine...

I get that they are more $$ up front. But really. A cheap wheel, steel or alloy, you will get crap results wheeling hard.

But to say to definitely avoid alloy like the plague is a lil misleading I think. I think alloy wheels have their place and are great, if you can afford them.

And steel wheels look like poop even when new, so who cares after they have been wheeled hard.......??

Yeah,sure. If you have $2000 to spend on wheels, definitely get the alloy beadlocks. No arguement there.

To OP:
Have you ever hooked, gouged or bent your current rims? I never have and when comparing the weight, I figure saving 10lbs per wheel justified going with alloy.

Now if within my use, I was experiencing rim damage as a reoccurring issue, I suppose I would consider steel.

I too am on the fence going from 33 to 35. Once I started researching the weight increase, and considering the on/road off road use and long term wear and tear, I think I am leaning toward sticking with 33's and my XJ is basically an around town extra car.

One big difference between me and you is that I am on 33x10.5's, so my jump to 35's also brings with it a jump to 12.5 and 8" rims.

Regardless, once I started listing the actual weight per wheel/tire per option, I decided the extra wheel height was not worth the weight.

Oh....and don't forget gearing and factor added leverage/stress for decreased offset.

It really comes down to your intended use, build and willingness to fix/upgrade stuff.

Lots of rough wheeling over the last 20 years.

82 Toyota longbed on 33's, then 36's
82 Toyota Trailblazer on 35's, then 38's, then 37's
85 Toyota shortbed on 35's, then 38's, then 44's
98 Cherokee on 35's.

Had both aluminum and steel wheels, never had problems with any of them. See about equal numbers of them on the trails.

YMMV...

Run what you like.

Unless you want to donate your current grabbers to me, then wear them out before you go bigger. I ran stock steelies for a while cuz they were free. I do like the weight advantage of the alloys tho. I do not do much rock crawling, but sand and dunes. I would still probably run alloys anyways.

I was just worried because how close the tires are currently with 4.5 backset. So they should fit?

Current pic with 33 12.5 on 15x8 4.5
IMG_0091.jpg

whoa! it may not me as crazy as it seems in the pic but dang! i wouldn't want my tires that close to my springs. makes me super nervous looking at it...

I went from 15x8 3.75" BS to 15x7 with 5.25" BS. Both had 31x10.5's I dislike the fact my tires are around 1-1.5" away from the leafs lol..looks to close for comfort..^^that picture is just crazyness!

Anywho steel vs alloy or aluminum whatever stockers are..weight was like 23lbs or something per wheel. Thats litterally 100lbs off the jeep from switching wheels alone and its rotating mass vs stationary mass. I posted it before in the craigslist thread I think. Its noticeable when wheeling & braking with the extra weight. Like steering while wheeling before would be stiffer & even whine from time to time, none of that now.
I don't do too much rocks, plus my tires overhang the lips of the wheels by like 4". 10.5" wheels on a 7" wide wheel, so I'm not too worried about banging up the wheels either.

There is 15x8" stock wheels if you wanted to go that route.

I run Procomp black steel wheels, 15x8 with 3.75 BS. I like the wider width and the offset clears my OTK steering. On the bright side, they're cheap, like $55 each at 4 wheel parts.
I'm giving them to my father-in-law in favor of some better looking Ultra alloys that I picked up, also 3.75 BS.
Most of the OTK steering require spacers or less offset.
What are you doing with your take-off tires?

Back