• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for help

john

NAXJA Forum User
I looking for someone i could hire to trouble shoot a wiring problem.
Here is the run down. I rolled my 97 xj with a good working engine. I installed the engine in my YJ . All original wire harness and dash. This should just be plug it in and start.
The engine cranks but no spark and fuel pump not turning on.

I live in sunland phone is 818-384-6405
thanks john

Crankshaft position sensor?

So everyone is on the same page because your post is very vague. The XJ was rolled, the XJ engine which is automatic was installed in the TJ which is stick. Just the engine was transplanted with the XJ wire harness! Question #1 Was the XJ started after the roll before the swap if not you may have had problems with the cps, the distributor, the coil ect... from the roll which you weren't aware of. If it was started and ran then I would say you need to run the tj harness and adapt all sensors to the XJ motor. The motors don't know what they are in the harness's do! I'm no computer expert but that may be your problem, there may not be proper communication between the sensors and the Comp.

The xj did start after the roll

The engine is in the Yj hooked up to the original xj dash it's not connected to any of the Yj wiring

So the engine thinks its still in an xj

But now I am thinking because the auto trans is out of the picture maybe the manual trans fly wheel is not reading on the cps sensor

if your using the stock xj engine wiring harness doesnt it have a nuetral/safety switch at the auto trans? if your not using the auto trans anymore then wont the lack of a nuetral/safety switch keep the engine from starting?

it would keep it from cranking over, but i dont think it would cut spark or fuel.

You put the computer in with the dash too? If so correct me if I'm wrong JohnX, but then the comp is searching for the auto trans isn't it? I think it would have been easier to install the motor and only the motor and use the YJ sensors. You may have to have the comp. reflashed? I know whenever I've installed a conversion we have used the original donor motor comp. because tranny and all have gone in with it. Where are you located jpthrils

Last edited:
it would keep it from cranking over, but i dont think it would cut spark or fuel.

your right... haha, now i realize that after i think about it and you mention it

what about the ASD relay?
has the signal out of the cam sensor and crank sensor been checked?
power and ground at both sensors?

Yes the computer from the xj is being used

Everything is the same as it sat in the xj the wiring and computer

The only difference is it doesn't have the auto trans and now an ax15 manual trans hooked up

I connected the neutral safety switch up just to get it to crank

I have not put a meter on the cps yet but that is my next test this weekend

Boss Cherokee

Yes the xj computer is looking for the auto trans but would that cut spark

Jpthrils how does the ASD system work I did pull another relay and put it the ASD plug but still nothing

when you turn the key on, how many relays do you hear clicking in the main fuse box under the hood? the ecm relay should click on and the fuel pump relay should click on momentarily then off again.

Boss Cherokee

Yes the xj computer is looking for the auto trans but would that cut spark

Jpthrils how does the ASD system work I did pull another relay and put it the ASD plug but still nothing

i believe the ASD relay provides power to a few critical components...
i believe its the ignition coil, injectors, o2 sensors, etc...
where in co cal are you located?

I live in sunland that's near burbank

How does relay get activated in an accident also after the jeep rolled it still started

Back