• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clayton arms ends question

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just scored a clayton long arm upgrade kit and just noticed there are no zirks on the johnny joint ends. Am I missing something? How do you grease and maintain ends?

There should be, mine have them

Mine have them too..

Do you see a threaded hole? Maybe someone took them off so they wouldnt get ripped off with rocks, or they got ripped off with rocks...

nope, there are absolutely no holes. In fact I just called the guy I got the kit from and he said it was 2 years old (never used) and said he thought there were zirked bolts that went with it...I will call clayton to see if this is confirmed.

The ends of the long arm basically look like these units welded to the square stock but dont have the greasable bolts so hopefully all i have to do is get the bolts...

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_79/products_id/287

Last edited:
Yeah, my upper arms (that come off of the long lower arms) have the zirk bolts. But the long main arm has zirks directly on the big joint itself on the frame side.

the earlier kits had bolts with zerk fittings and not on the joints, not sure when they made the switch though, atleast earlier then 09

ok, thanks for info...I must have the pre 09' version then. I am assuming those bolts allow grease to travel linearly then hit a midpoint in the bolt and travel out to the inards of the joint itself? This is assuming the "sphere" ,that the bolt goes into and allows articulation, has holes in it as well to accept the grease and allow coating around it inside the setting, otherwise the grease would stay inside the bolt which wouldnt do any good.

I'm going to have to assume that your assumptions are correct ;)

When I put lots of grease in mine, grease ooses out around the joint.

-Ron

Mine has them on the JJ direct and I bought it in '07. Maybe it is really old, Claytone went back and fourth, or it is a different set up. You said the joint is welded to the square stock? Is it a JJ on both ends?

Mine has them on the JJ direct and I bought it in '07. Maybe it is really old, Claytone went back and fourth, or it is a different set up. You said the joint is welded to the square stock? Is it a JJ on both ends?

Sorry no, I might have mistyped. The JJ in a traditional threaded type on one end with the spherical rubber joint welded to the square stock directly on the other end. I am going to call them today.

Back