• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the world going to end if I use spacers?

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Currently on 33X10.5 on stock rims.

After much measuring, calculating, drawing diagrams, considering my build and use, I "think" I have concluded that is a good tire size for me.

I do get some rubbing at full lock on the LCA, Coils and stock front skid so I want to reduce the back set a bit.

This XJ is in decent shape, but it's not winning any beauty contests for sure.

I think my options are:
- Buy new wheels with 4" backset
- Add 1-1/4" spacers

I assume wheels will cost more and spacers bring some new concerns?

Comments? Experiences?

PS: Would really like to step up to 35's, but have concluded it is mostly for the "cool factor". Plus 35's would require new wheels and less than 4" backset to improve my rubbing issues.

spacers will probably cost about the same as wheels. steelies are about 40-60 each new.

I run spacers in the rear to match my wider front axle and i havent had any issues.

So spacer look to be about $100 bucks a pair. I guess you run them fron AND back to match? ($200)

White steelies are $55 each ($220)
Black steelies are a bit more

Kind a want to stay away from the black steelies, just not my favorite. Also wanted to keep wieght down.

Found on discount tire web site MB72 for $95 ($380) appears to be aluminum, assume lighter wieght??

So for +$180 over spacers I get new alum wheels and no worries about spacers???

Oh.........guess I need to buy a spare.

Find some wheels used... paint them whatever color you want and run em... sets of steelies around these parts are usually $100 per 4 with minimal damage if any at all, usually its just some rust.

I paid $130 for 5 15x10 steelies then did rock rings for another $125. Should hold up forever

Rough country makes some good spacers. Cheaper than spidertrax. I have both on my XJ and WJ, both are good, but the RC ones cost substantially less.

i prefer aluminum wheels too. just cant beat stock for price, weight, looks.

i see spacers all day on ebay for $100 shipped. quality, i'm not sure, but you can ask the vendors about problems. i ran some for a year, and had no issues.

do you know the backspace on your stock wheels? i remember you saying they were moabs, which are a 5" backspace, but your avatar just doesnt seem like moabs to me... i prefer to run a 4" bs.

i prefer aluminum wheels too. just cant beat stock for price, weight, looks.

i see spacers all day on ebay for $100 shipped. quality, i'm not sure, but you can ask the vendors about problems. i ran some for a year, and had no issues.

do you know the backspace on your stock wheels? i remember you saying they were moabs, which are a 5" backspace, but your avatar just doesnt seem like moabs to me... i prefer to run a 4" bs.

Never actually measured them. I thought all stock were 5.25"

i run aluminum wheels with no problems. and nobody can say i'm nice to my heep.
used wheels will be cheaper than spacers.

I got all 4 of my spacers for $45 and only 1 pair of them had been used. I already had 4.5" BS and no rubbing issues, I just like the stability of being wider. It's silly to think that 2.5" of width would make a big difference - trust me, it does.

I also needed to fill out my fender flares to the edge for personal preference on looks.

I have had no ill effects from running spacers. :thumbup:

I have 1.25" spacers up front for about a year and no problems.

Anybody have weight data on stock rims? Would like to compare weight against stock, new aluminum and new basic steel.

Thinking white steel (old school wagon wheels). Would love to find closed steel with 4" backseat.

Wow! Tire weight varies quite a bit.

33x10.5x15:
- BFG AT: 44.8lbs (what I am on now)
- BFG MT: 49.4lbs (+4.6)
- TSL: 55lbs (+10.2)
- Toyo MT: 57.3 (+12.5)

35x12.5 BFG AT/MT: 53/60.1. (+8.2/15.3)

I bought 1.5" spacers from rough country for about $120 shipped. Much cheaper than new rims, and I got to keep my moabs. Yes I wheel aluminum rims with spacers. No my jeep has not blown up.

271575_390854234302332_988045349_o.jpg

Last edited:
I would buy good spacers. seen cheap ones strip out and allow the stud to spin. That is not a fun project on side of the road.

Back