• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" tire, 4.56 or 4.??

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
the biggest tire i'm probably going to go is 33" and I'm trying to figure out the closest gear ratio, now the gear ratio in the how to section is saying 4.56 but what about 4.10? or 4.11(is that possible?) what major difference would I notice between the two? not buying any right now but the knowing the knowledge right now helps for future building and planning. is the lower gear closer and better or is the higher be best?

the biggest tire i'm probably going to go is 33" and I'm trying to figure out the closest gear ratio, now the gear ratio in the how to section is saying 4.56 but what about 4.10? or 4.11(is that possible?) what major difference would I notice between the two? not buying any right now but the knowing the knowledge right now helps for future building and planning. is the lower gear closer and better or is the higher be best?

Trust me, go with 4.56s. 4.10s are not worth it and you will be wishing you had gone with deeper gears if you do go with 4.10s. 4.10s could get you by in a flat area with no hills and if you drive two track rails or fields. If you want any type of power at all (which 4.56s give u slightly better than stock anyway), than go with the 4.56s. Also, if you ever tow anything or do go up to a larger tire you wish you had the 456s.

alright awesome thank you. ya I keep seeing post about 35" tires and 3.55 gears for stock and for 35" but nothing really pertaining to 33" and the best gears and pro/con of them so thank you so much

Those who think 3.55's and 35's are fine are idiots, I did it for one day and it was horrific, did 33's and 3.55's for a year and it was ok but not great if I was to do it again id just get some 4.10 junkyard axles and call it good

I said the biggest tire I was gonna get was 32". I've been on 35's for at least 2 years now. Glad I went to 4.56s with 32s. It was a great combo too.

Those who think 3.55's and 35's are fine are idiots, I did it for one day and it was horrific, did 33's and 3.55's for a year and it was ok but not great if I was to do it again id just get some 4.10 junkyard axles and call it good

X2

i've had 4.10 on 33s with a 5 speed and it was okay/tolerable. I then went to 4.88s with 33s and it was great. I now have 35s/4.88s

I'll second the 4.56's with 33's. That's what I run now...after a year or so with 3.55's. It is so nice to have my power back. 4.56's with 33's is slightly lower that stock, as my speedo now reads slightly higher than actual speed (like 5 mph at 60 mph). You won't regret the 4.56's.

I have 4.10s on mine with 33" tires and its ok... a little more torque then stock going up hills.. I got front and rear gears for $80 and couldn't pass the deal. But i still get good MPG on my 4.10s

Definitely go 4.56! I have 33s with 3.55 and it moves but it is not quite the quick nimble Jeep it used to be. I can still manage up to 16 mpg on the highway but thats on a good day, with the wind pushing me, and a lot of downhill.

I am saving up for re-gear and you must think about this too, while through mathematical calculations 4.10 or 4.11 may seem fine, the math doesn't account for a number of extra factors.

The 33s are going to be a wide tire, heavier tire, heavier wheels, more of the tire is exposed from lifting the Jeep hurting aerodynamics, your Jeep has the aerodynamics of a brick and lifting made it worse, if you have added weight of bumpers, skid plates, rocker guards, winch, rack, etc. then your Jeep needs more help pushing all that down the highway and moving all that weight from a dead stop. So factoring all that in means you need more than what the Jeep had stock and 4.56 gears get you there.

4.56 gets you crawl ratio.

4.10 gets you economy.

I don't want to see another "I only gt 10MPG from my XJ" thread ;)

When you are done, spend the extra $40 for a speedo gear. I didn't and for years spent tim in my head figuring out what speed I was going. For $40 you fix the speedometer, odometer, and PCM feedback.

Well this is my daily driver rig so I don't plan in going above 33" so 4.88 seems to be a bit over kill for me. it has to be fairly alright on gas mileage lol and not kill me on all that. Say my rig gets roughly 18mpg city, what would 4.56 gears roughly get me city wise and what would 4.10 gears roughly get me city wise. Reason being again is this is a dd and meant only for light to medium off roading

Im on 4.56 that i got for 33's and on my current 31's its fun but mileage sucks ( but its a jeep so i dont care). I cant wait until i get the 33's on finally and even out the balance of the ride.
even with only the 31's my jeep felt a bit weak before the regear it "feels" like a touch too low now with the 31's (for street because its awesome on the trail)
I DD mine and do light to medium trail duty and i think 4.10 just isnt quite low enough and i didnt want to regear twice.

If you KNOW you wont go higher than 33's , like i know i wont then your good to go.
Some people just cant help themselves and go larger and some know they never will.

Last edited:
Back