• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery cable routing

Whiskey Jack

NAXJA Forum User
Basic automotive knowledge question:

The cables on our 89 were extremely frayed, so we replaced them today. But now the Jeep wont start, won't even try. Like as if we didn't have a battery in it at all. I just need someone to confirm: the positive cable runs from the positive post to the block and the negative cable runs from the negative post to the starter. (or do I have this reversed? It would seem to be the other way, but I think this is how it was) Thanks for any help.

ground

im not sure about the routing, but im pretty sure u have to have a cable that goes from the negative to the chassis, maybe its what ur missing. just a thought....

Neg goes to the block, pos goes to the starter, and fuse block behind the battery. Makes sure you disconnect the battery first before you move the wires. Or your going to end with with a funny feeling in your hands. Juice

Negative (-, or Black) goes to the block near the distributor. It can also be tied directly to the chassis, since it is the return path for all electrical current used in your XJ.

Positive (+, or Red) goes to the LARGE starter terminal not connected to anything, and to a distribution point (start relay post on 87-90, fuze box later) for feeding all your other power requirements.

As you posted, you had your cables reversed and that will cause your "no nothin'" condition you experienced. Later models can be sensitive to such things, so I hope you didn't let the "magic blue smoke" out of anything...

5-90

Back