• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best header for 96 4.0

96XJ9705

NAXJA Forum User
Found today that my header is cracked just before it combines into one and I'm interested to see which header either stock or after market is best.

Define "best".

No exhaust manifold will hold up for long if the motor mounts are worn out. While you are in their you should install new mounts.

I'm running a Dorman replacement exhaust manifold, the improved version with the bellows/flex joint looking sections. Had an APN style header previously which after six months cracked way worse than the original manifold. My motor mounts were fine, no idea why it didn't last. I know lots of people run them without issues so maybe I just got one with bad welds... I liked how it sounded but can't say I noticed any real HP gain with it. I'm happy with the Dorman though. Easier to install than the header and should last a long time.

I second the suggestion to replace motor mounts at the same time. Stock replacements are dirt cheap at RockAuto. Probably worth doing the trans mount too.

Last edited:
By best I'm looking for long lasting, affordable, and a fifteen hp gain. Really stock performance is fine but I'm hoping for reasonable price and to never need to replace it again.

I'm running a Dorman replacement exhaust manifold, the improved version with the bellows/flex joint looking sections. Had an APN style header previously which after six months cracked way worse than the original manifold. My motor mounts were fine, no idea why it didn't last. I know lots of people run them without issues so maybe I just got one with bad welds... I liked how it sounded but can't say I noticed any real HP gain with it. I'm happy with the Dorman though. Easier to install than the header and should last a long time.

I second the suggestion to replace motor mounts at the same time. Stock replacements are dirt cheap at RockAuto. Probably worth doing the trans mount too.

Was it an apn or only the apn style?

Dorman looks good price wise. There's a bunch of different ones on ebay. But I'm waiting to see if there is anything else.

thanks!

I have installed an APN on 2 different XJ's and have had no problems with either one. The APN has a design more like a header and does improve engine performance slightly over a stock type manifold.

Was it an apn or only the apn style?

Dorman looks good price wise. There's a bunch of different ones on ebay. But I'm waiting to see if there is anything else.

thanks!

I'm not sure if it was a real APN or not, I bought it unused off someone here on Naxja. I'm guessing it was a knockoff brand. The real APN's are more $$ but perhaps worth it. The one I had looked nicely made but cracked badly at two of the welds.

I got the Dorman from eBay, think I paid about $130 shipped.

I'd might try an aftermarket header again in the future, probably a real APN or something else with an actual name behind it. I doubt I'd take a chance on a generic one. I'm sure most are fine, but the way eBay is flooded with dirt cheap 4.0L headers, I'm sure the manufacturer (s) just crank them out without much quality control.

I'm not sure if it was a real APN or not, I bought it unused off someone here on Naxja. I'm guessing it was a knockoff brand. The real APN's are more $$ but perhaps worth it. The one I had looked nicely made but cracked badly at two of the welds.

I got the Dorman from eBay, think I paid about $130 shipped.

I'd might try an aftermarket header again in the future, probably a real APN or something else with an actual name behind it. I doubt I'd take a chance on a generic one. I'm sure most are fine, but the way eBay is flooded with dirt cheap 4.0L headers, I'm sure the manufacturer (s) just crank them out without much quality control.

APN's look like about 180 shipped, but are out of stock. Dormans on ebay seem to be about the same (within 20.00).

Pacesetter's look a little too pricey for me right now (jeep is mainly a toy, occasional DD).

i got the Pacesetters aside from some rust on them which i will be taking care of really soon i cant complain they preform nicely

I was also looking at getting a header replacement. was looking at APN but found this pacesetter on CL
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/3421251524.html

it's off his wrangler and has dual outlet? if I can pick it up for $90 and do DIY ceramic coating what do you guys think
not looking for HP just looking for something that will last me. I messaged asking why he is selling

Back