• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 backing plae question...and brakes.

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
So for the third time, some @$$ clown has decided to move/vandalize my 8.8 I bought for my XJ. I haven't had time to do the install on it yet and now I need some advice. The last butt monkey that messed with it dropped it pretty hard and now the drivers side backing plate is all munched up. I think that some of the parking brake stuff uses the BP but since they made off with all my brake parts (and even the freakin wheel studs! FML!) I don't know how it goes together. Can anyone show me a pic of an 8.8 P brake assembled? Do I need the backing plate or can I just cut it off since its all crumpled.?. I'd appreciate and input folks...
Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I just rebuilt and regeared an 8.8 this week and installed it under my Cherokee; so it's still fresh in my mind. The sheetmetal backing plate is pop riveted to the bracket that the parking brake cable outer sheath attaches to. That bracket also supports the parking brake actuating lever. It all ends up being bolted together when the assembly is attached to the axle. The sheetmetal part along with the bracket support the parking brake shoes, so if you want the original Ford parking brake you need the whole assembly.

No rivets on the ones i have built, just one stamped steel plate. On mine I used air shears to trim the excess sheet metal from the backing plates exposing the backs of the brake rotors. It looks good, retains all of the parking brake mounts, and makes one less place for mud and shit to get crammed. sorry cant find any pics.

That's what I was kinda thinking rocklobster...I'll have to really look at it close this week so if I need one I can get it ordered asap. Much of it kinda just looked like a mud/dirt shield for the rotor but I do see a couple holes where the brake pins go through. Just not sure how far out in diameter they are.
If I need to replace this can anyone give me a quick version of how? Pull the axle (C clips?) and is the backing plate Pressed on and sandwiched by the bearing like some Jeeps? The more I know the easier (I hope) it will be... Thanks! :)

No rivets on the ones i have built, just one stamped steel plate. On mine I used air shears to trim the excess sheet metal from the backing plates exposing the backs of the brake rotors. It looks good, retains all of the parking brake mounts, and makes one less place for mud and shit to get crammed. sorry cant find any pics.

On the one I just worked on, the stamped steel plate was attached to the brake bracket with two 3/16 pop rivets. I know, because I drilled them out so I could have better access to clean and refinish both parts. There is no need to replace the rivets because both parts are attached to the housing with the same four bolts. Just tryin' to explain to the OP what goes where and what does what. I'm sure the rivets just held the parts together to expedite assembly of the axle at the factory.

This is the only picture i have of my 8.8 that has the backing plate in the picture.. dont know if it helps
418326_10150593188982957_1978387097_n.jpg

Back