• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 bad vibes

jwebb85

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got my axle swap done and it has some pretty good vibes. Mostly at 50mph and more, with it being worse coasting or off the throttle. I swapped front and rear shafts, no luck. Wheels are tight, i did have to use a file and shave down the casting lip on my stock 99 cast wheels. Could that make them off balance? It has a ZJ disc brake swap. New bearings seals, Rubi backing plates. I just had the gears set up by a friend. It has 4.88 with a true trac. 75-90 oil. I sure would like to get up north for some of the hunt....

4.5"
New 33x10.5x15 on 99 sport cast wheels
Auto
pinion angle is the same as it was with the 8.25
No t-case drop

The Jeep had no driveline vibes before.

No SYE:
Input and Output should be parallel
2joint_angle.gif

With an SYE:
Pinion should point directly at t-case output
cv_angle.gif

rotate the tires & see if the vibe changes to a steering wheel shake. If not than it is a rear end issue, plus it don't cost you nothing to rotate.

I had the same issue after swapping my D35 for an 8.25. Check your pinion yoke- is there any play between the u-joint caps and the yoke ears? There should be none at all. 1mm of extra space was enough to cause the same kind of vibes you're describing.

Back