• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter clicks once then jeep loses all power...??

dubbleJ's

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, my '98 auto XJ wont start. I just finished putting the tranny back in as I had to pull it to do a front pump seal. I finally have it all back together and now when I try to start it I get just one single click. Then the jeep has no power for a random amount of time and then it just comes back so I can try starting again. Then another single click...

I tried boosting it, still didnt turn over. (Although boosting it yesterday started it, nothing today)

While putting the tranny back in I put a different junkyard starter in it as my old one was starting very weak, so I figured I would change it while I had the tranny out. I am going to try putting the old one back in tomorrow... Do you think a bad starter to cause this? Losing all power seems really weird after the single starter click...like it has no power for lights/stereo/anything.

ALso, we were boosting my buddys jeep in my garage and we accidentally hooked up the booster cables backwards (doh) but it was for a split second as it sparked when he was going to connect it to his battery. I am hoping that didnt fry anything in my jeep. His WJ was fine and drove home last night...

Im baffled....any input on this before i lose my mind?? lol

Last edited:
Test as suggested.

Clicking and not starting is usually a low voltage issue from:
• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator
• dirty or loose wire connections
• internally corroded battery wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Exchange the ASD relay with the Starter relay in the fuse box under the hood near the battery.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

Test as suggested.

• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Exchange the ASD relay with the Starter relay in the fuse box under the hood near the battery.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

Hold on there, your starter is a permanent magnetic starter, if you hit the body you will brake the magnets and you will replace the starter. Never hit a newer starter.

Ummm...Tim_MN suggested tapping on the starter, not beating the crap out of it. I suspect that if you "brake the magnets" by tapping on it, you have a larger problem than just a no-start.

In the interest of fairness, I will admit that I don't know what the difference is between a "newer" starter and an "older" starter. I do know Tim_MN isn't wrong too often (ever?).

Older starters would be non- PM or GR starters, we started to see them in the mid 80’s.
Older starters had a tendency to bind up and tapping on it would free it up, it really did work.

However you have no field coils in the starter, it has magnets bolted or glued to the inside and they surround the armature. Tapping on the starter body can damage the magnets. Will it every time, no, is it worth the risk, no.

I completely agree with everything else in Tim_MN’s post, I am just saying tapping on the starter has gone the way of pulling a battery cable with the engine running to test the alternator, another bad idea you should not do, unless you like changing ECU and alternators.

Don't be so critical. Tapping on the starter is excellent advice to temporarilly clear the debris from the brush - commutator contact points.
Please learn to play nice if you are going to continue your 12 posts here.

Test as suggested.

• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator

Great info, thanks alot.

I replaced the starter...didnt start. (I bench tested the starter before I put it in and it worked)

Then I replaced the pos post on battery and removed both cables, snipped fresh wire, cleaned it all up and removed/sanded the negative ground at the block and she fired up!! Yesssss.

It seems to run strong now although my alternator is making a bit of a screeching noise...might just be all the mud that has gotten inside it...

This post has been up for awhile, but in case someone else runs into a similar problem I'll just add to this. I actually ran into a similar problem on my 88 Cherokee recently. I checked all the wiring and connections, fuses, relays and everything else I could think of. It turns out my wiper fluid was leaking through a vent due to temperature fluctuations. The fluid dripped onto my wiring and into my fuse box just underneath it. Who woulda thought? But I'd give that a look and make sure nothing is getting into the fuse box. It wouldn't hurt to get it sealed up so nothing like this will happen.

DubbleJs, I just filled up my windshield washer fluid yesterday and now my Jeep is doing this. Did the problem resolve itself once it dried out?

Back