• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE coil springs - 3.5" vs 4.5"

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Got a question for you guys...

I'm about to do a minor suspension overhaul (new leaf bushings, shackles, new UCA bushings, new track bar, drop brackets, etc) and have realized that the repairs to the rear will net roughly 1" of lift (hopefully no more).

As such, I've thought about going the ACOS route up front (especially with Serious Offroad's JKS November discount), but realized it's highly unlikely that I'll ever use them to level the vehicle.

My question is this: does anyone have any hands-on experience on the ride quality difference between the RE 3.5" and 4.5" XJ coils? The spring rates are considerably different (3.5" is 241 lb/in, whereas the 4.5" are 169 lb/in), so I'm tempted to forgo the ACOS setup in favor of longer, softer coils for ride quality reasons (currently using the 3.5's on my XJ).

Anyone have any experience with both of these coils that cares to chime in?

i'm curently using the RE 4.5" TJ coils @ 219lbs/in with 1.75" spacers and they ride fairly decent on the roads firm yet pliant.
when I get my XJ back today it'll have the RE 4.5" XJ coils with 1" spacers in it so I can give you a close approximation to the differences you can expect between the two coils likely tomorrow.

It's all personal preference really. I had the 4.5" coils for years and they were too soft for some of the wheeling I do. But they were great for slow stuff and on the street. So I purposely got the 5.5" coils because they were stiffer. If you want a softer ride and to get rid of the ACOS, get the 4.5" coils. Serious offroad sells them real cheap.

In my experience with them, the 4.5" coils will become 3.5" coils after about 15k mi with a bumper and winch on them. So just do the 3.5's and spacer. either adjustable one,or the 1" one. The 4.5 coils were too soft/weak.

Well I'm rolling on the 4.5's now ... They are considerably softer than the TJ 4.5's and with a 1" spacer they sit at about the same height as the TJ's with a 1.75" spacer (not surprising as there us only a 1/4" difference between them). Bit bummed to hear they likely sag quickly ... At which point I may spring for the 5.5's.
But for now I really like the ride of the XJ 4.5's way better ... But then I prefer a more marshmellow like ride than a stiff one.

Last edited:
I replaced my RE 4.5" and 1.5" spacer with BDS 4.5" springs and a stock heigh spacer. I think the BDS are 240 lb/in. Bottomed out the RE springs all the time on drop offs and whoops. BDS springs only bottom out on really hard hits if I'm doing something stupid.

was curious about this too. i'm considering the RE 3.5 vs the 4.5 because i'm adding an extra 150lbs from winch and bumper.

dont the RE 3.5 give close to 4.5" of lift though? or so, i've read..

If you want 4.5" of lift with a winch bumper get the 5.5" springs. Not as soft as the 4.5" springs but not harsh either. But I'm running them with drop brackets so my ride is much better

Back