• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system overhaul

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
Doing a cooling system overhaul on a friend's XJ since it has been running hot.

Her XJ is a 2001 4.0L with 3" and 31s.

This is what I could think of to replace:
-Radiator (1 row from DPG Offroad)
-195* thermostat (Stant Superstat)
-Radiator cap (Stant)
-Radiator hoses (bottom one with spring is from dealer)
-Waterpump (dealer)
-Waterpump to heater hose outlet pipe (hers is rusty)
-Fan Clutch (Torqflo from Autozone, since mine seems to work well)
-Coolant Temp sensor
-Waterpump and thermostat housing gaskets (Fel-Pro)
-Prestone Radiator/cooling system flush kit
-New green 50/50 mix coolant

Anything I'm forgetting? I'm pretty sure this XJ has the original gross looking coolant in it. Everything works (waterpump, fan clutch, e-fan, etc) but I think the system is full of crap so I'm redoing it, especially since she still has the 0331 head.

Having gone thru cooling and head problems over the past year w/my '01...

I'd say make sure and flush the Heater Core when doing this as well. Running some cleaner thru it is good, but I'd say keep running clean water back and forth thru it multiple times to try and clean the goop out of it as well.

Also, might want to upgrade to a better radiator... 2 or 3-core and All - Metal.

If you're getting a new radiator and can spare the extra cash, do what Redsnake suggested and go with a multi-core radiator. I did not when I replaced my stock radiator and regret not doing so.

u can get an aluminum 2 core from advanced for 150ish with life time warranty. do a good flush and i always put some clr in the mix when flushing and a cap full of so in the 50/50 to help with the heater core rust

She already bought the radiator but hasn't installed it. I'm definitely going to flush the heater core as well. Right now it runs at 215-220 constantly, and the coolant bottle overflowed once even though the temp gauge read 195*. It was neglected by the previous owner, and she has had it a little over a year with no cooling system maintenance. A newer stock style radiator should be fine for now, she needs to also replace brakes and some steering stuff.

u can get an aluminum 2 core from advanced for 150ish with life time warranty. do a good flush and i always put some clr in the mix when flushing and a cap full of so in the 50/50 to help with the heater core rust

I don't show any 2-core all aluminum radiators at Advanced when I do a parts search... Do you happen to have a part # for this option? If this does exist for $150 that is a STEAL of a deal!

I just did this a few months ago. Looks like you have everything you need. Make sure you have some thread sealant for the inlet tube and the temp sensor. Even though you have gaskets, I'd still smear a thin coating of RTV on the water pump and thermostat housing. Keeps the gasket in place while you line up the bolt holes.

All in all, it wasn't a hard job.

don't buy a water pump from the dealer. the dealers i've gone to here i socal now only carry a "value" pump which is basically an autozone pump. i compared the two when i bought one and they were identical down to the stamping.

don't buy a water pump from the dealer. the dealers i've gone to here i socal now only carry a "value" pump which is basically an autozone pump. i compared the two when i bought one and they were identical down to the stamping.

Good to know. I'll open the box and compare them.

Even though you have gaskets, I'd still smear a thin coating of RTV on the water pump and thermostat housing. Keeps the gasket in place while you line up the bolt holes.

Ditto.

I'm doing the same job as the OP and went with a 3 row radiator and mostly Napa/Advance parts (Advance has some pretty sweet online order deals I've seen-helped doing it over a couple weeks to save some $).

Back