• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to check harmonic balancer, '86 2.5L

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed Brown Dog Poly Motor Mounts on my rig, torqued to spec, and have LOTS of vibs. One suggestion on Brown Dog's website is to check the harmonic balancer, but I don't know how.

It's a two door with the back top chopped off, and the vibes I'm getting are almost as loud as the muffler drone! (at certain rpms, anyways.) I swear some bolts are gonna rattle free and my rig's gonna fall apart on the freeway :scared:

The tranny mount has low hours and is ok, and it's not the driveline. It's worse at certain rpms, while parked in neutral. Also, removed the original 'engine strut' that was mounted on the front of the motor (don't need it with solid mounts I wouldn't think.) Also, removed the mechanical fan and installed electric.

You would need to take the HB to a machine shop to have them spin and balance it. I don't think I would bother with an old one. You could buy a new one then have a shop balance it. The machine shop work would cost yo more that the replacement part.

Maybe BrownDog will take the mounts back and swap them for their rubber version.

Back