• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted 2WD driveshaft Q

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm (big surprise) going about the jeep build backwards and have lift stuff heading to me as I write this. My XJ is an '01 Sport, 2WD auto tranny. I'm going to be in the area of 4.5"s of lift and am wondering about the driveshaft... Do any of you other 2WDers out there have any info on what you encountered with your lifted XJ? I imagine that a tranny drop would help with the angle but how much room is there to move with the slip yolk DS?? Any input and feedback would be great guys! Thanks in advance!:us:

since you're lacking a TC that makes the rear driveshaft shorter, it will likely be fine until you can get your 4WD swap done.

I still run a stock shaft in my MJ with 5" worth of lift because it's a mile long, so I don't have problems.

Thanks Man... And you didn't have any issues with spline engagement at the slip yolk? I also have an 8.8 to go in but if anything I would think it would make it better vs worse. *shrugs* I don't plan any craziness with the heep until the 4wd stuff goes in but I still need to be able to drive it around base and the occasional zip down the autobahn.

I never did, and when I needed a new driveshaft made I had it made the same length. Never pulled out of the slip yoke.

but like I said, my shaft is long, I think 80 inches? The 8.8 will help. Longer pinion snout plus the added length of the flange adapter, but if you go that way you may have to shorten it, ten you'll have another shaft made when you 4wd swap it.

Only way to know is a tape measure. Jack it up, let the axle droop down to where it will be at your new ride height and measure it up.

Back