• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9 rear worth it?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
i have one laying around from my prerunner and desert truck days that's supposedly from a 70 something F150. a full width rear with a stock size front, that just a dumb idea?

i have herd that you can mess with the wheel offset to tuck the tires in and stay close to what it would be stock, is that something i could do?
or is full rear and stock front going to get me laughed at by most of the guys on here?

Last edited:
Yeah agreed with the offsets, you'd have to carry two spares if you had a flat front or rear... id build it up and in the mean time search around for a full width front. That way you can focus time and money on one, then when the time is right snag the other.

If it takes a few months to find a front and build it up that's no big deal.... have you seen how long some.of these other builds have taken on here? Lol.

thats what i was thinking, i just thought about it since i have it laying around. i've also heard the pinion is stupid low on them as well.

The Ford 9" is very strong, and that is what the NASCAR boys run behind the 900HP FR-9 Race Engines. If it has low gears, like 4.11 or 4.56 or perhaps 4.88, it would be awesome with some 33" or larger tires too... Seems like the price is right.

Well, you can beef up the pinion area, it depends on what you are using it for... and.how much money you want to throw at it. Like stated, build it up, research the options (which are plentiful for the 9) and then find yourself a good front full width to match and do the same. In a few months slap.it.together and be happy you waited it out to do it right.

I say go for it, you would only need one spare. just the one for the offset in the front. Your rig might look a little funny running the spare in the rear but it would get you home.

I've been looking at full width axles with high offset wheels mainly because i hate wide xj's

Back