• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj drive shaft u-joints

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
So I got one that's going ba and I figure I might as well replace them all. I wanna go with spicer (which no one local carries) and am gonna grab them online. My question is as follows; I got 5 to replace and when I wen to napa the guy had a book containing five different part numbers for the five joints. I've read around and it seems as though when buying the spicer, they are five of the same part...? Well wtf

Do I buy 5 of these or what?
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-5-153X.html

Or just go to napa and pick up one of each?
(They carry... Proformance napa brand?)

The XJ uses 5 1310 u-joints ... The different part number will be small difference things like greasable or no, grease nipple in the cross or in the cap, super strength or regular ... things like that, is all.
In the Dual Cardans it's better to use either the non greasable or the cap grease fitting style. This is the type of joint I use at all locations personally. Easier to get a grease gun into (with flush fitting tip).
Many others prefer the non greasables all around as they apparently have better seals, and require no maintenance other than replacement.
Choice is up to you really.

sometimes the greasable ones with the proper zerk fitting don't fit in the double cardan shaft. Best to get non serviceable ones, or flush fitting ones like suggested for the front shaft. I put greasable ones everywhere else, especially on the axle sides, those are theones that get dunked in water and such. The ones in the cardan joint at the tpo of the front shaft are pretty well protected.

If you're rebuilding the front shaft you may want the centering cross and the needle bearings, depending if yours are hosed or not.

Back