• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeup: 1999 Disable Door Open (Door ajar sensor)/Dome Light

BlitzM4

NAXJA Forum User
I found a few posts asking how to do this but most of the answers were to just unplug the door sensors. I wanted to be able to disable the door sensors when I am out camping but have them work normally for everyday driving. I tried to document this as best I could, I ended up with a switch that disables the 4 door sensors but still allows the rear cargo dome light switch to turn on and off the interior lighting.

I used a 1997 factory service manual to track down the wiring so I assume this will work with at least 1997-1999 models.

First find plug C7 on the passenger side fuse block under the glove compartment.

XJFuseBlock.jpg

Cut the Yellow wire plugged into C7.

2012-11-12175130.jpg

Pop the cargo area dome light out of the headliner and cut the yellow wire. Then run a new wire from the yellow wire on the dome light to the front fuse box (This is a blue wire on my install). I ran the wire along the passenger side underneath the trim pieces that hold up the headliner and ran it down the front pillar into the area behind the glove box.

Yellow wire cut
2012-11-12171257.jpg

Put heat shrink over the unused yellow end to prevent a short and then soldered a long blue wire to the yellow wire and covered it with heat shrink tubing (heat shrink not on yet in this picture)
2012-11-12175739.jpg

Took trim off passenger side headliner to run wire to front fuse block.
2012-11-12172106.jpg

Run 2 wires from wherever you want to mount the switch to the fuse block behind the glove box (These are both yellow wires on my install)
2012-11-12183909.jpg

Attach one of the switch wires to the vehicle side of the yellow wire that was cut earlier (Shown with green heat shrink on the picture below). Then connect the other switch wire to the plug side of the yellow wire along with the wire that was ran from the cargo dome light (shown with blue heat shrink on the picture below)
2012-11-12182734.jpg

Then just plug the wires back into the fuse block and clean everything up and it should work. I notice that the lights are a little dimmer when the door ajar sensors are bypassed which is probably because of the small gauge wire I ran from the cargo dome light to the front, I will probably replace this with a thicker wire next time I have the jeep apart.

Hope this helps someone.

Seth

Just want to add to this...

I installed a headliner out of a later model into my '97 to gain the molded in sound bar and upgrade my lights. The connectors use the same colors but not in the same order between various years. So I would suggest looking at a FSM for your year before "snipping the yellow wire".

Not a bad idea if you want to do this all the time.

If you just want to do this when the doors are off, there is a plug for the dome light switch under the lower trim inside each front door. When you pull the kick panels to disconnect the door wires, take out a few more screws on the trim and you'll find a connector just a bit further back than the kick panel reveals. Disconnect it and the dome light will stay off with the doors open.

Back