• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver vs passenger tire carrier build

rkates

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to build a tire carrier on the back of the heep and running into a weight concern. The tire is a 36" irok on a 15x10 steel rim. I plan on building off my quarter armor using a pair of extra 1 1/4 ruff stuff joints.

Here is the question I have. I understand the whole swinging out twards traffic but is there any other disadvantage to a drivers mounted carrier? I don't have to make the carrier as long on the driver side. Is there anything else I'm missing. Any other reason I should just stick with the passenger mount

why does the carrier have to be longer on the passenger side?

the only other impediment is visibility. Havin it on the drivers side will make a big blind spot on that corner for freeway merges.

I would think keeping the tire closer to the drivers side will help visability. When I say drivers mount I'm talking about the hinge side. The tire I'm trying to shift twards the driver side regardless of mounting side

Hope that makes sense

I'm mounting mine driver side, hinged on the passenger side. Gonna cut a piece of tube small-like and weld it on the bumper for the carrier to rest on when it's in the closed position to take the stress off of the swing out.

I put mine on the drivers side to help with visibility.

exp0010.jpg

Also made it move up and down to help even more.

exp0003.jpg

http://www.bakersfieldtrailblazers.org/XJ_BUMPER/jeep_xj_rear_bumper.htm

How did you make it move up and down? That seems like it would be a good solution.

that's pretty slick.

I would still prefer it on the passenger side. I hate things blocking the drivers side of the hatch glass. Stock space save spare included. personal preference I suppose.

that's pretty slick.

I would still prefer it on the passenger side. I hate things blocking the drivers side of the hatch glass. Stock space save spare included. personal preference I suppose.

For me it came down to visibility out of the rear view mirror. I am always looking behind/a little passenger in the mirror. I never look straight back/ a little drivers (as I would need to look straight through my head!) So blocking the drivers side for me was of no consequence.
For me, it seems far safer to block the drivers side.

The arm that the tire is mounted on swings up and down. When I'm wheeling, I move it to the top position. Around town it goes to lower position.

That's cool.

Is it relatively sturdy when driving, or do you get rattle and vibrations from the tire mount?

I have mine hinged passenger side with the tire on that side as well. Either side the tire is mounted you are not going to be able to see. Sticking a 33+ tire on the back takes a lot of real estate and going to block the majority of the window any way you dice it. if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly it really alleviates a lot of that need. just make sure that the tire sits on the side closest to the hinge. No point in adding all the additional stress to the side the hinge by mounting the tire on the opposite side of it.

Here is what I am running, 35x12.5 tire for reference.

177348_10101110226050149_111589720_o.jpg

408052_10151299423583112_1034516412_n.jpg

Great looking Bumper Demolition_X.

You actually have quite a bit of window open on the drivers side. For my driving style, I prefer that section of open window to be on the other side. It helps me when merging and such. I look over my right shoulder and can see out the rear window. I can also see out of it in my rear view.

That said, mine doesn't see much road action any more so it wouldn't really matter... just my preference.

When I had my swing out, I had the tire on the passenger side. Visibility was fine. However, if I would do it again, I would put it on the driver's side. The extra weight of the wheel and tire on the passenger side added to the "torque lean", so mine sat a little low on the passenger rear.

Back