• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 to 6 cylinder engine swap

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2 xj's. one with a 6 cylinder and a bad body, and one with a 4 cylinder and a good body. I know this engine swap has been done, but i cant find it on the search engine. I was wondering how involved/ difficult/ worth it this swap is. And what all is needed to perform the swap. thanks in advance.

Year models on both would help.

seeing as how cheap early XJ,s are here in Australia, i can only guess at how cheap they must be in your country, so why would you bother, just go buy what you want.

and spend your time driving it, brake up your existing 2 for parts

We definitely need year info.

In general assuming same-year you are looking at swapping the radiator, sometimes portions of the radiator support, the engine and body-side engine brackets, the transmission, the trans crossmember, the driveshafts, the transfer case (because you might as well, it's bolted to everything else already), the wiring harness in the engine compartment, the ECU, sometimes the fuel pump. If one is auto and one is manual the swap gets even more complex. If the year ranges don't line up well it can get even worse.

Back